Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to launch out of Kiptopeake, catch my fish outside the Bay on the ocean up past Smith Island, and return with my catch. Am I permitted to be inside the Bay with fish on board? If not, does anyone launch out of Oyster, and what's the condition of the ramp and inlet? Appreciate it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
You can transit to Kiptopeake from the ocean with fish on board, just don't stop to fish in the bay with fish in the box. Catch and release in the bay is OK, but the box had better be empty if the man inspects your boat.

Cheers,
Walt

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Here is a question I have. If I go up eastern shore and return to Rudee with Fish, Do I need to stay inside the three mile line the entire run home?
That's a good question. Straight line distance would put you outside the line. Well since you can't possess fish outside the 3 mile line, my guess would be it could get you a citation. I'd probably play it safe and hug the 3 mile line on the way in...but watch those shoals off fisherman's island.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was told if you weren't fishing you're all right (in the bay or running outside the 3-mile). We did well good on the oceanside of ES before xmas. But I would launch from Oyster, thats what we did. Good ramp about 4-5miles to the ocean. PM if you need info.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
More than a few capitains have found out the hard way that you cannot run home, going out beyound the 3 mile limit, from your successful fishing spot with fish on board. The law states that it is illegal to possess any stripers while outside the 3 mile line.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Oyster has a good ramp. The Inlet is probably the best one on the Southern Seaside.

As far as running outside the 3 mile line to get south ? It's the safe way to go considering the shoals off Ship Shoal and Little inlet. I cannot imagine there would be anybody patroling that area but if you do get stopped outside with fish on board they are probably not going to give you any slack

Boats

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
3 Mile line

I looked for information on Striper fishing in the VMRC web today. I was interested in how the Coastal area was defined. A Map showing the line between the Bay area and the Coastal area is all I could find. I could not find any reference to the 3 Mile limit. Did I miss it. Please help!

I just purchased a new Saltwater Boat license and again NO information was given about the 3 mile limit of the outside edge of the Coastal Area. Again did i miss something.

I want to read the VMRC regulation that is given to the fishing public!

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I looked for information on Striper fishing in the VMRC web today. I was interested in how the Coastal area was defined. A Map showing the line between the Bay area and the Coastal area is all I could find. I could not find any reference to the 3 Mile limit. Did I miss it. Please help!

I just purchased a new Saltwater Boat license and again NO information was given about the 3 mile limit of the outside edge of the Coastal Area. Again did i miss something.

I want to read the VMRC regulation that is given to the fishing public!

Thanks
Nick
From the VMRC web site under recreational fishing regulations in the striped bass section it says (I made the appropriate text in bold letters);

Chesapeake Bay Fall Season .........................................................October 4 through December 31
........................................Minimum Size Limit................................................ 18 inches
........................................Maximum Size Limit * ......................................... 28 inches
........................................Possession Limit..................................................... 2 per person

* 1 fish of the 2 fish possession limit may be 34 inches or larger; no fish may be kept between 28 and 34 inches.

Chesapeake Bay regulations for both the Spring and Fall seasons described above apply in the main stem of the Chesapeake Bay and Virginia's Chesapeake Bay tributary rivers, except for the tributary rivers emptying into the Potomac River (see note below for more information on Potomac River striper regulations).

Other Virginia restrictions: You may not combine possession limits when seasons overlap or you fish in multiple jurisdictions. Gaffing striped bass or attempting to gaff striped bass is illegal in Virginia marine waters.

Federal water striped bass regulations: Atlantic Ocean waters beyond the 3 mile limit are closed to the taking and possession of striped bass all year.

Potomac River striped bass regulations: Different regulations apply in the Potomac River and its tributaries, including its Virginia tributaries. These areas are subject to the rules and regulations of the Potomac River Fisheries Commission, P.O. Box 9, Colonial Beach, VA 22443, (804) 224-7148; (800) 266-3904; http://www.prfc.state.va.us. For further information on PRFC rules contact PRFC directly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts