Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...to catch fresh water fish.[grin]

I was raised near the ocean and only fished salt water back then. After 30 years off, I would like to get back to fishing, wit hsome catching thrown in.

I can make the bay a few times a year, but that's about it, so I would like to learn a bit about Fresh water fishing.

I am near Blairs Valley lake, a few other stocked lakes and the central potomac. Blairs lake is a nice fishing hole and they stock it with Largemouth, Blue Gill and Trout.

How much do I know about fresh water fishing....00000000!!! Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Baits, presentation, etc. No flyrod stuff please. I don't have the time to properly learn how to use the equipment. I have spinners and baitcasters on ML and MH rods.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This time of year bass are really active.....well this cold front that came through last night is going to shut them down for a couple of days,but normally their going to be feeding before winter. Rubber worms , topwater in the morning, spinerbaits around structure same with rubber worms will prouduce. If you want to try after a cold front you have to pretty much put the lure right in front of their nose ,and they hold really tight to structure and don't come of it to go after a bait unless it's right in front of them. good luck let us know how you do[excited]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I hooked a smallish Largemouth last month. About 12", released for another day.

Tried to get out yesterday before the front moved in. Got caught right in it. I reached the lake just as the wind turned and it dropped from 63 to 48 in an hour. Rain hit hard and cold.

I'll give it a few days to let things settle and try some early morning casting, maybe sunday.

Should I be using any weight with the worms?(split shots?) I have only tried, Buzz baits, small fire tigers, and small spinners so far.

·
Registered
323 Posts
using a plastic worm you should use a bullet weight. your line will slip through the weight then tie your hook on. cast it as close to the shore as possable, then ease it back to you a little at a time. if you can find some brush piles work it around it real good. bass will stack up around them. good luck hope you catch em

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
If you do the LTJ in the bay, just scale down. If I'm not buzzing 3/8 oz white spinnerbaits in shallows when its warm, or slow rolling 'em in deeper waters or after fronts, then its 3" sluggos on 1/32 oz jigheads on 6# fireline with 8# fluorocarbon leaders dead sticked in current or barely jigged in calmer waters. The finesse approach works wonders for me.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Crxess
To be honest I quit bass fishing back in 85, Tournaments, guiding, and clubs burnt me out. After a couple of years off I found myself fishing & crabbing back on the bay of which I fished throughout my childhood to my teens.
I assume you fish from a boat, Although I’m not familiar with Lake Blair sounds like you have some fantastic smallmouth fishing on the upper Potomac at hand.
Spinning gear with light line & inline spinners will catch anything, also plastic grubs fished on the bottom. As mentioned plastic worms used with 1/16 to 1/2 bullet weights use to be my most productive method.
You can’t go wrong with fire tiger crank baits. Sounds like you have the tools you just need to apply them.
Good Luck

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. Yes I'm armed to the teeth(lol) More types of baits than I will ever figure out. I think I will go with K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) for now.

I do have a boat, 2 actually. They are to big for fishing lakes or shallows though. I wouldn't trade either though. Their great for family fun on the river and the occasional bay trip.

I am bank fishing the lake for now and may try the river below the dam Sunday.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grrr..... Excitment and disapointment at the same time.

Hit the lake a little late, 9:30. I decided to work a point I like and stay put for a while. When the lake is low, the point reached out well and there is a lot of aquatic cover along all edges, as well as off the bank several yards out.

Things started slow. I spent an hour or so trying different retrieves with weightless worm, small spinner and a fire tiger.

Fire Tiger was the only thing to see action. I had pitched across the edge of a large section of growth and was working a slow retrieve pulling the rod low and sideways. I felt what I thought was the bait snagging some weeds and eased off the rod as I cranked a few turns.

As I started to pull the rod around again, BAM, the tip sailed in the opposite direction. I freaked, pulled to hard, fast, or who knows what and missed the set.[sad]

Supirsingly, I got 3 more hits in the same area in about 15 minutes time. Never did get one on the hook, but boy did that first one get my heart pumping.

I also got to watch a couple of Largemouth top feeding on the windward side of the point. Never could get into proper position to tease one into biting.

Well, I heading to Dam 4 for a bit to try my luck in moving water.[grin]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.