Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I have not tried one yet but isn't Gary Loomis affiliated with Temple Fork? CCA MD is doing a promotion this month - sign up as a Life Member and get a Temple Fork rod.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I do not know if Gary Loomis is but Lefty Kreh is involved with their fly rod development . I have 2 of the fly rods very good bang for the buck .

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
The casting series is the Gary Loomis signature series. As Lefty once said (or something to the affect) its hard these days to find a bad rod for $100...

·
Registered
12 Posts
You might want to look at the St.Croix Mojo Inshore as well for $10 more. I compared both at Bass Pro. Liked the look of the TFO but the butt end is too short for my taste. Ended buying a Wright McGill Flats Blue instead.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I have a bunch of loomis fly rods and was intrigued by the gary loomis affiliation with TFO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also the TFO saltwater rods go against the current trend of micro guides that reduce line slap against rod blank. Their reasoning is to allow the leader knot to pass through easily. If you use mono you might get a few extra yards choosing a rod with smaller guides. The more guides a rod has, the better it is. Especially more in the last 10 to 14 inches where the tip action is.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I haven't used a rod with micro-guides yet, but I am curious. My biggest resistance is that I want rods I can use year round, but I could change my mind.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Also the TFO saltwater rods go against the current trend of micro guides that reduce line slap against rod blank. Their reasoning is to allow the leader knot to pass through easily. If you use mono you might get a few extra yards choosing a rod with smaller guides. The more guides a rod has, the better it is. Especially more in the last 10 to 14 inches where the tip action is.
Line slap is the product of a poorly designed fishing rod.. Micro guides are used for no other purpose than to reduce weight.

Adding weight to the tip of a blank is detrimental to a rods performance. It's for that reason you keep the number of guides to the absolute minimum needed to evenly distribute the load to the blank. Fewer well placed guides will outperform a rod with "more" guides.

Temple Fork and Gary Loomis are strange bed fellows. Gary is the owner of a competitor, North Fork Composites http://www.northforkcomposites.com/

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
If you wanna fish all year round, get bigger guides. Smaller eyes will ice up and you'll spend more time huffin' n' puffin' to get the line freed up in the cold. Been there, done that, got the shirt - so long ago the shirt don't fit no more.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
More guides better? no, every blank has a different requirement based on its action. As far as these micro things, you can keep them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just checked out northforkcomposites.com. They seem to supply blanks, not finished rods so maybe there is no real conflict. Looks like the NFC blanks are for the custom builder looking for a domestic made product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts