Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a set of Jimmy Z collapsible planer boards. Let me tell you that they are absolutely the worse boards ever.

The shop I bought them from refunded my money no questions asked since every pair of Jimmy Z boards they sold were ****.

They looked nice when I got them but when you put them in the water, they flipped immediately, no matter what the sea conditions - calm or not. No matter what I could not get them to work.

The shop owner told me the guy that made them will not take the boards back, refund the money or back up his product in any way.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Still need boards?

I bought a pair of wooden boards form Skip (27 Sailfish) and they're the best. I have a pair or Riviera collapsable planer boards that were used one season if collapsable is a must. PM me and I'll fill you in.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I have been pretty happy with a set I built from the from the link below. They work really well, I've never seen them flip (not counting the time my mate dropped the port planer off the starboard side of the boat). Although they aren't tough to build, trust me - I am the opposite of handy with a circular saw, they don't seem to catch fish so well. I think maybe if I paint them a different color I'll get more hookups.

Anyway here is the link:

http://www.downtimecharters.com/Ideas/Planer_boards/planner_boards-plans.pdf

·
Registered
410 Posts
I made a 2 board set from plans in Rich's book; "Cathin Chesapeake Rockfish". I made them out of 4/4 Spanish Cedar and put 3 coats of Marine white on them. They work well and do catch fish. I got the hardware from a shop next door to Guy Brothers Marine and painted it the same way. No rust after 3 seasons.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought a pair of wooden boards form Skip (27 Sailfish) and they're the best. I have a pair or Riviera collapsable planer boards that were used one season if collapsable is a must. PM me and I'll fill you in.
I ended up with a nice pair of Skip's Planer Boards which are perfect!

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
I purchased a set of Jimmy Z collapsible planer boards. Let me tell you that they are absolutely the worse boards ever.

The shop I bought them from refunded my money no questions asked since every pair of Jimmy Z boards they sold were ****.

They looked nice when I got them but when you put them in the water, they flipped immediately, no matter what the sea conditions - calm or not. No matter what I could not get them to work.

The shop owner told me the guy that made them will not take the boards back, refund the money or back up his product in any way.
I bought a set last spring from All Tackle, same thing absolute junk, but Keith took them back no questions and refunded me which was cool.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Quit wastin time with it. Skip's boards are reputed to be good, or you could easily build your own.....the plans mentioned above both work well and allow you to modify to suit. Get out the circular saw and drill. It takes longer for the paint to dry than it does to make the boards.

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
It's one thing to make a product that does not work - but not to stand behind your work - that stinks.The guy will lose alot of business by not refunding the money or at least trying to fix the problem for his customers.

There is more to making a good running set of boards then most people think.Making them collaspable is even more tricky.

I've heard some horror stories of great looking boards that once in the water - do not pull well.Might be from this guy.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thanks for the post,

spotkilla - Thanks for the plans. Me and my neighbor Cpt. Mack (Invictus) made a set of 2-board planers (Michigan style) back when they were coming in vogue. They've held up well over the years and caught plenty of fish. However, in some of the Chesapeake chop (not to say Lake Michigan doesn't have it's chop...I know from experience :eek: ) we wouldn't use them. I want to build some with more bite to them and with larger boards plus a third board I believe that will do the trick.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Now I don't troll much, in fact only twice this year, but I have a set of Skips planners and they work great. I really have no idea how to run them since I don't take much time to learn, jiggings my thing, but one day this spring I was out in breaking waves and thought for sure the planners would flip, they didn't. The design seems to be perfect for bay trolling,.

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Now I don't troll much, in fact only twice this year, but I have a set of Skips planners and they work great. I really have no idea how to run them since I don't take much time to learn, jiggings my thing, but one day this spring I was out in breaking waves and thought for sure the planners would flip, they didn't. The design seems to be perfect for bay trolling,.
Jack,Ya' want to get rid of them?I think I've fallen to the Dark Side!:eek:I have Trolled more in the last 4 weeks than I have in my Lifetime!!I need a "Shrink".Can ya' reccomend any!P.S. Don't let Steve see this!!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I have been pretty happy with a set I built from the from the link below. They work really well, I've never seen them flip (not counting the time my mate dropped the port planer off the starboard side of the boat). Although they aren't tough to build, trust me - I am the opposite of handy with a circular saw, they don't seem to catch fish so well. I think maybe if I paint them a different color I'll get more hookups.

Anyway here is the link:

http://www.downtimecharters.com/Ideas/Planer_boards/planner_boards-plans.pdf
Just so everybodys aware. Leonard Jed (hardware supplier) is now located next to Ravens stadium on Russell ST.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Never flipped them even in 3' but need more bite. You never know when a rogue wave might do them in. I wanted to build bigger ones but my neighbor was worried about space on the boat. I'll build them and hopefully..."they will come."

·
Registered
89 Posts
Several years ago I built a two-board set that flipped on one of the first trips using them. So I took a couple furring strips and mounted them in the front at the very top of the boards, at about a 60 degree angle, running between the boards (i.e. nearly perpendicular to the both boards). I have NEVER had them flip again, even in 3 foot seas. I think it is because the strips force the water down and in, so the physics of the design make it difficult for the water to get enough of a downward bite to take a dive.

Or maybe I have just been lucky about 80 trips in a row.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Can you post a picture of the collapsible boards which you are talking about.

I have made collapsible boards in the past for tackle shops and they have worked very well. I pulled each one individually on my boat before selling them to a shop. I use a set on my boat. I want to make sure they are not mine. I don't know who Jimmy Z is.

If you like the collapsible idea I have a few sets still in my basement for sale.

Please post a picture if you can. I want to see if they are mine, or a knockoff of the ones I use.

The ones I make are very similiar to Skip Slomski's, not Skip Zincks. goFishBaltimore.com - Skip's Planer Board Plans

I have only heard good things about Skip Zinck's as well.

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
I'd use the set the troller "Skip" designed - not the LTG "Skip" :D.

One of the local shops gave me a Jimmy Z board to try and get right.I drilled alot of holes but it did not want to pull good.They are well made but something in the design is off.Short of taking it apart- there is no easy fix that I found.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,293 Posts
Hey guys ....... go and see Skip Z (27 Sailfish) make some planers ........ the lumber I saw him use and all of the materials were top knotch ......... wood has great grains and no knots. I asked him what woodworking project he was working on when I saw the boards stacked ..... and all stainless metal .......... builds each one like a master piece ....... ask anyone that owns a set of his ..........

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can you post a picture of the collapsible boards which you are talking about.

I have made collapsible boards in the past for tackle shops and they have worked very well. I pulled each one individually on my boat before selling them to a shop. I use a set on my boat. I want to make sure they are not mine. I don't know who Jimmy Z is.

If you like the collapsible idea I have a few sets still in my basement for sale.

Please post a picture if you can. I want to see if they are mine, or a knockoff of the ones I use.

The ones I make are very similiar to Skip Slomski's, not Skip Zincks. goFishBaltimore.com - Skip's Planer Board Plans

I have only heard good things about Skip Zinck's as well.
The Jimmy Z boards are made of white plastic board (that flips.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts