Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gang,

I have been a loser, I have always wanted us to have a TF Offshore tournament, actually three. This year I want to shoot for us to just have one successful one. I purpose we have one this year and see how it turns out.

I am thinking Wachapreague, Va as the venue. This will allow a lot of MD anglers as well as Va anglers to meet in a somewhat middle location.

I need the following:

The best time to do this?

A suggested venue?

Anyone from that are that would be willing to help me coordinate the event so I have someone else besides myself to make this happen.

I think this would be fun, a chance to win some loot, and afterwards have a good party to get to put faces with names etc.

Let me know and we will make this happen this year. I want to meet everyone in person, it's been too long since our old get togethers!

Brandon

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me. PM me with more about what help you'd need. I slip and run out of Wachapreague.

Ben

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I'm in! We need to make this happen this year.

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is what I need

Suggestions on where we should hold this. We need to have a place to get together afterwards and have the captains meeting. Ben, suggestions?

What MONTH is best? May, June, July?

We need prizes, we will have an entry fee so there is some fun money to win, but I KNOW there are guys on here who have tackle businesses who would love to put up some stuff to have their name appear on the sponsor list. If interested, post here.

Let's roll guys!

Brandon

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Brandon - The tourney is a great idea. If I could suggest one thing, I think it will make your tournament a success. Don't ask for suggestions.

POST A DATE
POST A LOCATION
POST A FORMAT
POST A TARGET SPECIES
POST ENTRY FEES
POST PRIZES

I have watched this tournament suggestion fail over the last two years. The main reason why is because no one could ever agree on anything and it fizzled. POST IT AND THEY WILL COME.

Bill

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
I agree with whitebite, post the info and they will come.

PUT A TOURNEMENT COMITTEE TOGETHER
MEET
WORK OUT ALL THE DETAILS
STICK TO WHATEVER FORMAT THEY COME UP WITH
GO AFTER SOME SPONSORS
MAKE IT HAPPEN

I think Wachapreague would be fine, although I have little experience running out of there.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Brandon, I do not have an official business for sponsorship however, I would be willing to tie up 10 nice Becko Bullets as a give away... You can decide how they are dispersed (all one prize or broken down)...

Here are some pic as examples... You can also provide a preference of color combinations and I can custom make them... Just let me know if this will help and I'll get on it...

Becky-

·
Registered
959 Posts
Do it in July. Tuna gods are more favorable and the billfish will be in the canyons.

FYI- MSSA has a tourney out there in late June or July. You may want to check their date before setting yours.

The Wachapreague INN has a bar and restaurant at the Marina. Any meetings should be held there, including weigh inns.

Species?

Depending on the interest you could run the usual gammet:

BFT
YFT
WAHOO
W Marlin
B Marlin
Dolphin
Shark

* The marlin may be a tough category as you'd have to set a very large minimum size to justify killing one.

100 or 200 dollar per boat entry fee sounds good to me.

No boat leaves port before 5:00 and lines in at 3:30 (similar to WMO-heck, use their rules).

I dont think you could get enough interest (uninvolved people) to do a release category.

But I too am interested.

I don't think the kitty would be big enough to allow boats to depart from OC, but I think the Chinco would be feasible.

Set the limit at no further than 100 miles from the sea bouy.

Lets do it!

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Brandon, highly suggest the Island House for the meetings and social aspects of the event. It is the only large full-fledged restaurant/bar in Wachapreague. Zed's bait and tackle is attached. I'd suggest Henry's out of loyalty but I don't think he has the space (right next door to Island House). You could do the weigh-ins at either establishment. The two places feud a bit but what can you do.

If you want me to talk to either or both of the proprietors I'd be happy to. I'm sure they'd be happy to host.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Brandon - The tourney is a great idea. If I could suggest one thing, I think it will make your tournament a success. Don't ask for suggestions.

POST A DATE
POST A LOCATION
POST A FORMAT
POST A TARGET SPECIES
POST ENTRY FEES
POST PRIZES

I have watched this tournament suggestion fail over the last two years. The main reason why is because no one could ever agree on anything and it fizzled. POST IT AND THEY WILL COME.

Bill
This is exactly the truth. Let's get it all set now that way everyone has time to plan around it. Just a suggestion, try to keep it so smaller boats have a chance to be competitive.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I live in Chesapeake but will help out in any way you need.

Also about a Billfish catagory I am not sure but if you are offering a cash prize you must use circle hooks if dragging meat. That means even if you are Tuna fishing in a tourney that has cash prizes for Billfish even the Tuna guys dragging meat will have to use circle hooks as well. This was a big topic while I was in Mexico. Maybe Bill or Julie can chime in here as what I typed looks a little confusing and may not be 100%.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Raymond, you are correct. If billfish is a prize category in anyway then technically you must use circle hooks for all meat, be it tuna trolling, chunking or flonder fishing. the best this to do is leave it out of the mix and maybe have an Open category for a trophy but do not identify the eligible species in the open division. or just leave it alone.

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I have a few people who are willing to help. I am checking on dates so not to conflict with another toury.

Thanks for suggestions, we will post the date and details once I get them set.

Excited to make this happen. Once we have on success we can make more happen easily.

Yes on small boats, agreed.

Brandon

·
Registered
124 Posts
The Eastern Shore Marlin Club also holds a tourny in July of each year out of Wachpareague. You should veriify their date before setting one for this. You may even want to combine the two? Talk to Randy Lewis at the Island House @ 757-787-4242. He has always been a member of the ESMC team.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Tidalfish spans a large area I am moored in VA Beach would there be enough slips available in Wachapreague to accommodate boats from this area and other Tidalfish areas or would we have multiple weigh stations like Rudee Lynnhaven Little Creek Wachapreague Chincoteague ect

G

·
I Agree Not Enough Room On The Eastern Shore For Dockage Trucks Trailers The Ramp Is Not Big Enough To Handle It If This Thing Gets Big....vb Is The Way To Go Alot Of Nc And Sc Guys Would Probaly Fish It Too....

·
Registered
959 Posts
There certainly seems to be some interest and I think multiple weigh in locations may be the way to go, although calibtration could be an issue. Hmmm, maybe 100-200 dollars per entry is not enough.

Lets see, average boat has a crew of 3 to 4 people. I say up my ante to three or four hundred per boat.

With a higher entry prize we can spread the winnings over several categorys.

I also thought about my initial comment regarding the time a boat can leave the inlet.

Well, maybe we should allow overnight fishing for guys targeting shark and just have a lines out, and specific weigh in time.

I too am a small (24 Grady) boat guy and perhaps we should consider doing a two day tournament over 3 days, thus giving us more of choice when it comes to sea conditions.

Deep down, I think TF is a small boat group.
Perhaps a handicap (sickening to think of it) for TF members in the event charter boats or other non TF'ers jump into the action when the word gets out. Although a handicap may drive people away, the tournament will help spread the word about TF.

As far as Wachapregaue, I mispoke about the Wachapreague Inn when I actually meant the Island House Restaurant (thanks Ben).

Man, is it summer yet. Freaking cold weather has me dreaming of spray over the bow as I clear the inlet with the sun coming up and wondering what a day in the Canyons will hold.

Won't be long boys, wont be long! Anyone else hating this weather? I once loved snow and I am now looking forward to coppertone!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I would like to see it out of Rudee also, just simply because there are more adequate facilities. Large marinas for the bigger boats. Large boat ramp for the trailerable boats. The inlet is super easy to navigate with no shallow water and no long rides from slips to the ocean. Many restraunts, hotels, bait, tackle etc, and 100 miles from sea buoy at Rudee puts you up north of the washington canyon on the northern end and to the point on the southern. If I had fair warning, I think I could very easily get my marina (rudee's) to host the event. I would like to see a mid-late june tourney when the bluefins are strong to the north, the yellows are good off rudee, and the bigeyes are showing to the south.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts