Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I finally put a VHF in my boat (duh) and have planned a 3-day fishing orgy with my son out of Rudee this weekend.

Could you help me with the best manners, channels, etc, for communicating with fellow TFers? Do I broadcast a call for any TFer, or that I am a TFer looking for a commo check, fish report, etc? I don't want to get off on the wrong foot.

Thanks for your help.

David

ps. Hoping for the best weather. How do you fish a south wind off of VA beach? Current plan is to exit Rudee, troll to CH, cross the bay on the ocean side, then reverse track and head south. Will be trolling while looking for birds. This is only my second time out of Rudee.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Your radio if new came with instructions on how to properly call another vessel , simply call the other vessels name and then state your boats name and wait for a reply, then you can request they go with you to another channel that is used less or talk on the channel you called them on. Most listen to and talk fish [ and god knows everything else plus childish stupidity] on 68. Channel 16 and 9 are for Emergency and Coast Guard and hailing but is supposed to be kept clear for important stuff, not for radio checks,bs, ect. Good luck with it ,everybody should have one for safety pourposes, and one day of listening to channel68 when the fishing is slow and you will learn the proper and deff the inproper way it can be used. I think 78 was supposed to be the channel to look for a Tidalfisher.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You can always monitor for a while. I'd recommend "tagging" 9, 16, 68, 69, 78, 79 as your scanning freqs. You'll pick up a plethora of info just by powering it up & listening. Also, if you have a handheld as your backup/ditch radio, you can just key one or the other, not on 9 or 16 as stated above. However ensure they're NOT TOO CLOSE together or the squelch feedback might be ear-splitting.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I second that ....man in todays world you just scared away 90% of the board.....
OK, all you dirty-minded fisherpeople, "a three-day-fishing-adventure"!

My New American Heritage Dictionary lists orgy as 3. Excessive indulgence in any activity.:D

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Just kidding man.. If you are ever in the middle bay just ask if there are any TFers out there.. There are alot around. Best of luck..

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Glad you decided to get a radio. I thought it was required equipment for any boat 18' in length or over. You'll probably find most TF traffic on CH68. The CG regs also require that you monitor CH 16 while on the water. Large commercial traffic, if you need to contact, them will be on CH13. Be sure to stay out of the way of the large ships especially when fishing at the entrance to the bay. They DON'T slow down and will make chum out of you REAL QUICK.

·
Registered
397 Posts
How about breaker, breaker, picture taker !!!! :eek: Oh, wait a minute, thats Smokey and the Bandit !!!:D :D Sorry, I couldn't resist.;)

Mark
1999 230 Sportcraft C/C

1 - 13 of 13 Posts