Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today on the James, a jet ski used his speed for good. He raced for help when three men took the April 1 plunge, when their jon boat was capsized by a passing boat. I happened to be the first boat he came to. I was idleing into Osborne so I turned around and put the slimy glitter rocket into holy $&*! speed, heading down river. About half way back to the power plant, there they were. Two men and an upside down jon boat. The younger one on top of the bottom, the dad in the water holding on to the boat. They both had life jackets on! The third passenger, the teenaged son, had swam to shore with his life jacket.
The boat was still anchored. The 7.5 Evinrude was submerged. The only thing keeping the boat up was a bit of air trapped in the hull. Both men climbed aboard, and caught there breath enough to use some cuss words they had been saving up. I would bet that they were prayers just a few minutes ago.
I called Big Cat, who was loading his boat. He came to help. Luckily, the Henrico Rescue jon boat was launching. Scott went to get them. The wet guys really wanted to flip the boat and check gear. I said no, lets wait. The pros will know how best to do it.
We tied a throw cushion to each end and waited. The rescue guys decided to pull the anchor and tow the boat to shallow water and right it. While pulling the anchor, Henrico guy says "Dang, you have a heavy anchor". Yep, extra heavy. While reaching the end of the rope, the chain appeared. Hung on the anchor, was the guys trolling motor. Still hooked to the trolling motor......yep.....a full sized Everstart battery.
I retrieved a drifting cooler full of ice cold Pepsi while the rescue guys righted the boat and picked up the teen. Henricos big boat returned 3 safe, wet guys and boat to Dutch Gap.

I figured I'd head home. Enough excitement for one afternoon.

This is the boat after being righted.

There it is with the two throw cushions tied to it.

Here are some guys ready to go home.

This was the first trip for the three in the dad's new, used boat. And a newly rebuilt 7.5 Evinrude. Some days just stink.

Dayton

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
Did the jet ski then go and try to identify the other boat? Please tell me this guy did not get away.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No numbers or ID. I don't know if he was close or not. Three good size guys in that boat, could have been flipped long after the boat had passed. Who knows.

I think the jet ski found them after they flipped. The teenager had a good long swim to shore. And he was walking for help when I got there.

Dayton

·
Registered
246 Posts
Water surface temp was 59.5 to 62----yep could have turned out a lot worse,,,,I wear my life jacket all the time....should have seen the wakes down at Presquille Sat evening when them two barges went thru the cuts....that did some real boat shaking

·
Registered
90 Posts
Gotta be carefull on the river with a smaller boat, not to say they werent carefull though either. I had to navagate a tug wake with no barge a few months back and i swear the bow of my 19ft skiff was 1 inch from totally eating wake #2. I was at low speed and probly could have turned into it a bit more but geez i felt like i was at risk of flipping!! To this day im still not sure how to approach such massive consecutive wakes?? Any tips?

·
Registered
392 Posts
morons

I have fished many a year in the james in a small boat and there are plenty of a**holes out there especially when it gets warm. Got them big boat small petered guys trying to show off and possibly be really kool and get laid for swamping a small boat. There im done! All those years of frustration just came out! I certainly hope one of you went after that d**k. If not it will happen again. Hope im there this time. :jackthread:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts