Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The folks down at the DNR get alot of abuse and little praise. I've recently met and spent time with some of them and they are great people who have a really tough job with limited resources.

With the decision by DNR to close the February gill net seaon, I would like to take this opportunity to thank DNR and also let them know that I am grateful for all their efforts and hard work in protecting our resource.

Great job DNR! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
8,197 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
:clapping2::clapping2::clapping2:

Yup, boys did a good job. :thumbup:

Hoping between this and the stories from NC that there will be enough mainstream press so this can grow some legs. May be a silver lining to all this. Lets hope so.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Seen channel 11 at 6:00 today one of the top storys was the 10 ton of illegal rock fish Good work whoever got the news on this. not just these threads!!!!

·
Registered
14,326 Posts
Great work NRP:thumbup: It's cold and windy out there but these poachers stirred up a bees nest and I'm sure they won't rest until these guys are caught.The next time you see them on the water.......THANK THEM:yes:.......Gary

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
read the announcement fellas, the season won't close till Tuesday and will likely open at the end of the month to use up the rest of the quota.....if there's any left

The Secretary of Maryland Department of Natural Resources pursuant to Code of Maryland Regulation 08.02.15.12(H) announces the closure of the 2011 striped bass commercial gill net fishery, effective 12:01 a.m. Tuesday, February 8, 2011. The Natural Resources Police has confiscated 20,000 pounds of illegal striped bass over the past several days. These fish will be applied against the February quota.

The Department has reserved 120,000 lbs. of quota for the last week of the month for river fishermen that have limited access earlier in the month. Based on current catch rates, this leaves enough quota for one additional day of fishing. Ongoing investigations and enforcement actions may produce more illegal fish that will absorb that remaining quota. Therefore, the fishery will remain closed until the Department can determine the extent of the illegal nets and pounds of striped bass. The Department will determine if the fishery will reopen at all in February based on the amount of remaining quota.

So MD started Feb with 415K, deduct 61K for January's overage and you're at 354K. 2/1 and 2/2 72k were caught each day so we're down to about 210K. The 2/3 and 2/4 numbers have yet to be reported and remember the season closes TUESDAY so nets will be out Monday. If you go with a 72K average over those 3 days that's another 216k which wipes out the entire quota. The 20K poaching would put us way over, don't know how DNR could reserve 125K for the end of the month. Also kinda seems to me that if they wanted to reserve 125K for the end of the month, the season was going to have to close early anyway. If you planned on closing the season sure would be nice if you could SAY it was because of poaching. Sure would make those rec groups happy.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
This is good news. However, it would be better news to hear that they're banning nets alltogether.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Frank, you're absolutely right, but we have to remember that the announced reason for the closure is because of poaching. That means they need to prove to the people of Maryland that they have poaching under control before they open it again. Does anyone actually think they can do that in good faith? It's our job now to make sure they don't.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I was surprised when the video said there was "15,000 yards of illegal net found last February". I do not remember any press about that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts