Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have held off on this post for awhile trying to think of exactly how I want to says this. But the time has come. Awhile ago I decided to have a custom trolling rod made for my son, Chris. I pondered it for awhile, trying to figure out exactly what I wanted because I wanted it to be "special". Chris, is my #1 mate, I mean he busts his butt on my boat, helps me get it ready in the spring, keeps it up during the seaon and helps me put it away in the fall. He's not a bad fisherman either and when we're out, usually with others, he's all over everything, all I have to do is run the boat. When I decided to give him his "own rod" I got in touch with Steve Fogel, (Steve F) to the board. Well to make a long story short Steve put together one of the most beautiful trolling rods I've seen. He did it all by me explaining to him what I wanted and Steve did the rest and I know he agonized over being sure it was exactly what I wanted. Well it was that and much more. Steve couldn't have put together a more perfect rod if I had given him a picture of what I wanted. Steve told me in the beginning he hadn't done many trolling rods and since I wanted that
"special" rod he wanted me to be sure he was the guy to do it. I knew Steve had made many rods for others on this board and everybody seemed very satisfied, it was a no brainer he was the guy. I have thanked him privately but I felt that Steve went above and beyond doing this rod for me and I owe him one. I put a Penn 345 GTI spooled with 80 lbs. Power Pro on the rod and it is sweet. I gave it to Chris yesterday and you would have thought I gave him a million dollars, well almost. Anyway, he now has his "own" special rod with the Steve Fogel touch. Thanks Steve.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother,
I've ben lusting after one of Steve F's rods myself. Something suitable in green that's suitable to tackle the famed Patapsco Permit. But alas that would mean I also need a new reel and some new line. Given my taste in reels I couldn't afford it unless the step-sons move out.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kick The Step Sons Out

GB, If the step sons are standing between you and a Steve F rod, kick em out and call Steve

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Congratulations on the new addition to your family of wands! I'm planning on meeting up with Steve F at the Tri-State show to talk about a jigging stick for myself - definetly looking forward to it! Do you have any pictures to post of it? Congrat's again - Andy

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sh!t, forgot to take pics, maybe Steve has one.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Sam, First off it was a pleasure to meet you and I’m sorry for the little mess up with the stripper guide it was ALL Chillis fault. For those of you who don’t know Sam he is a Police Officer and has been for over 33 years, my hats off to you Sam I know what you go thru each and every day. I was really excited and a little apprehensive to build this rod but I’m glad it came out like it did, just make sure I get that genie back after the 50”er comes over the side. Like you said, yours was one of the first trolling rods I have built and it was a learning experience just wish I could had taken some pic’s of it, it did come out very nice. I really appreciate your kind words and I look forward to hooking up with you and Chris this spring. Have a great time in Florida and I can’t wait to hear some of your fishing stories.

Mike-Thanks for posting some pic’s of your rods and I know you have been trying to make them a 2 piece rod and I hope that never happens. Thanks buddy your one of a kind, but that’s a good thing.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Steve, You really shouldn't have put the word out about the genie, now everybody is gonna want one !!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Steve,
We need specs. Blanks, guides, etc.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.
6,189 Posts
That Steve guy sure is one of the nicests guys on here, and from everything I've heard about his work, he'll be the one to build me a custom rod when I step up to the plate. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Seahunter, The blanks that I have been using for trolling rods are the Gator Glass blanks, they are similar to an ugly stick, I use Aftco guides and depending what kind of handle you like it can be Eva Foam, all aluminum butt or a slick butt. I also use Aftco real seats and gimbals. Pacific Bay also has very good guides that I have used. It all depends on how much you want to spend on the rod. The trolling rod that I’m building right now for J.W.D. is a 6’2” 30 to 50lb class trolling rod. Now for light jigging rods your 6’, 6’6”or even a 7’ I have used G-Loomis, St-Croix and my favorite Batson Rain Shadow. I also have put Titanium guides on jigging rods but boy are they $$$$ but worth it.

Virgil- As I said before I just can’t wait for the opportunity to meet you, and I really appreciate you kind words. I very much enjoy reading all of your reports and NOBODY details a report like you. Thanks Virgil

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Thanks for the info. I’m always interested in what other people are building these days.

My first 6 trolling rods where built using the old Shakespeare 20# blanks. Great blank, great feel but they are no more so I had to look somewhere else. I then got together with the guys down at fishsticks4U they recommend that I try the RS SWB E-glass blanks. I built a pair of them but they are a little too fast action for my liking. I fished them last spring and they’re head and shoulders over the Penns they replaced but they’re not what I was trying to accomplish. I just ordered a couple the SWS RX4 blanks for a set of roof rods for the spring. They’re supposedly a more moderate action blank so we’ll see how these work out.

Have tried the RX8 Rainshadow blanks? I was thinking about working on the ultimate LTJ rod this spring and the RX8 came very highly recommended by a few.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Those rods are way too nice to use.:) I'd have to build a special rod locker if I had one.Mine are all battle scarred veterans-nicked up, etc.Sounds like Steve won't have any free time left to fish because now all the TFers will be ordering custom rods.:D Skip

1 - 20 of 29 Posts