Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
We launched pretty early on the South River this morning. I had a buddy that was going to follow me around with traps to grab a few dozen for dinner. He has in an older 16' alum boat with a tiller 2-stroke.

He had his boat revving kinda of high to warm it up. Apparently, it drifted under the dock (lower tide). Anyway, the story goes when he hopped on the boat the gear shift on the tiller hit up against a piling and it knocked the boat in gear at several thousand RPM.

He went flying in the water but caught a hold of the side of the boat as it circled by. For the next several minutes he apparently held on for dear life as his boat swung round the marina in circles. He eventually made one final push to kill the motor. He was way too tired to get into the boat but was hanging on for dear life trying to doggie paddle the boat back to the dock against the wind not making progress. He was exhausted.

This is where the help came in. Someone saw what was going on and helped him get to the dock and take care of his boat. My buddy says that without that help he didn't know what to do. He was literally exhausted by that time and drifting away with no way to get in the boat. He could not reach his life jacket which was in the center of the boat.

So if you know who that was- please thank him. He did a really good deed and maybe saved a life today. My buddy ended up parking his boat and rolling with me. After resting he was able to go home with a stuffed bushel of 1's.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Any time we go it alone on the water there is always the possibly of a mishap.
In this case it's a good thing these alert men were in the area and responded.
Good Job Fellows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts