Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,366 Posts
I got enough exotic foods as a Ranger, I'm not eating rodents of my own free will. Had rat on a stick in Thailand. My great grandfather cooked a whistle pig that I killed with a .30-06, it was a mess. But I'm down for a good tuna taco now and then. :oops:

Reactions: Choptank River

·
Registered
349 Posts
When the Pilgrims arrived East Coast had plenty of Turkeys, Elk, Deer and Waterfowl so Thanksgiving could have been the "Golden Coral" of table fare. I remember as far back as the 60's & 70's if you wanted to shoot a deer traveled to the pan handle of Maryland. MD DNR began transplanting wild turkeys late 70's/80's and now Turkey's are in every county.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Actually, the DNR failed at transplanting them. They used birds from florida and they didn't survive. NWTF had to come in.

Nice 330 prog.
LOL, carried 4 330s back 5/8 mile.
Next morning,4 beavers.
Next day, 4 more.

I'm too old for that nonsense.But will try again this winter, lol.

Actually, DNR tried pen raised birds first, long ago. Soft release, where they were fed for awhile after release. Guy told me he would pull-up in the truck, take the feed can lid off, beat it around, and birds would run to truck!
Said a trashcan lid and a stick.wouldve been the best turkey call ever.

Once wild birds re-established, they did a good job trap and transplanting to fill in holes

·
Registered
439 Posts
I’ve heard that story a lot. I was a child but I remember the rockets and the releases.
I was helping them out once at a demo when when SOMEONE failed to attach one of the rockets to the net.
Went a whole lot farther than I would've guessed. Into standing beans. Had 100+ kids there so guy says, "$5 to whoever finds it!"
Kids trampled more than $5 in beans, lol, but found it quick.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Prog,
It’s a very interesting success story. You’re probably correct about the tame birds. I didn’t mean to imply that you were wrong.

I just heard that a few times

Oh, I've heard a ton of stories.

Best were from and/or about Dr. Vagn Flyger.

He was the guy responsible for trapping and restocking deer in MD, although better known as The Squirrel Man. His stories from here, Africa, the Artic we're insane.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts