Tidal Fish Forum banner
41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
I got enough exotic foods as a Ranger, I'm not eating rodents of my own free will. Had rat on a stick in Thailand. My great grandfather cooked a whistle pig that I killed with a .30-06, it was a mess. But I'm down for a good tuna taco now and then. :oops:
After reading your post thank goodness Turkeys don't have "Tails" .............

Let UncleRob eat it, he'll eat anything .....................

·
Registered
3 Posts
My father and uncle hunted in the first official deer season held in Talbot County in 1951, hunting with 1949 Belgium A-5’s, and (9) deer were checked in that year. When they were growing up around Longwoods and Wye Mills, a deer sighting was newsworthy…..

·
Registered
792 Posts
I almost can't go out without seeing turkeys around me. One of my neighbors has free range chickens and they are back there with them most mornings, seen as many as 13 one time, usually it's more like 4-8 though. See them on the Indian Head Rail Trail quite a bit too, deer are everywhere, and we even have a few feral pigs.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My father and uncle hunted in the first official deer season held in Talbot County in 1951, hunting with 1949 Belgium A-5’s, and (9) deer were checked in that year. When they were growing up around Longwoods and Wye Mills, a deer sighting was newsworthy…..

Yup, my Dad was born in the 1920s, said it was big news if you saw a TRACK. They hunted WVa for deer, post war, then later, Garrett county.

Funny thing, Dr Flyger I mentioned earlier said farmers were begging for deer to be released on their places. ( He was transplanting from APG). Said 40 years later, same farmers were cussing " that SOB turned them deer loose here" not realizing, it was him.

Another funny thing. He published a paper about sika deer 60+ years ago, saying that maybe someday, folks would come here to hunt them! Not sure if you all remember the DNR " bonus sika"/ eradication seasons late '70s. Fri- Sat into February, when rifle season was 6 days.

Turns out, the good doctor was right again!

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Yup, my Dad was born in the 1920s, said it was big news if you saw a TRACK. They hunted WVa for deer, post war, then later, Garrett county.

Funny thing, Dr Flyger I mentioned earlier said farmers were begging for deer to be released on their places. ( He was transplanting from APG). Said 40 years later, same farmers were cussing " that SOB turned them deer loose here" not realizing, it was him.

Another funny thing. He published a paper about sika deer 60+ years ago, saying that maybe someday, folks would come here to hunt them! Not sure if you all remember the DNR " bonus sika"/ eradication seasons late '70s. Fri- Sat into February, when rifle season was 6 days.

Turns out, the good doctor was right again!
A lot of history.
DNR does a lot of things right some times, with help

·
Registered
441 Posts
A lot of history.
DNR does a lot of things right some times, with help
Think he was the first person to tranquilize a polar bear. Said it popped over an ice ridge at 15 yds, upright. Fired the dart and it just stood there, towering over him. Tried to load a second dart, but bolt was stuck, lube got thick at -30F.

Remedy was to pour hot liquid on it, open and dry, and he said that, fortunately, he was involuntarily producing warm liquid at that very moment!

Guy was a hoot.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,370 Posts
We had a flock of Guinea Hens for a few years. I didn't see a tick for years. Then something started getting them. Might need another 20-30 to turn loose.
Not only do they eat ticks, they're the best damn alarm system you could have. The ones we used to have would go bonkers if something came close to their enclosure at night.

Reactions: Hvymax

·
Registered
349 Posts
No. MSA disbanded somewhere around the mid 2000sthe MdWFA I think.

I’m talking about the associated sportsmen’s club of central Maryland. They disbanded somewhere around the mid 80s.
Given your screen name and clubs mention above "take that bet" your a waterfowl hunter and was involved years ago when MD. Sportsmen (MSA) organized grassroots efforts to influence hunting regulations in General Assembly. I was at the original meeting when MSA formed; Associated Gun Clubs were in attendance, Federation of Sportsmen's Groups from panhandle of western MD were well attended (very strong organization), MD Fur Trappers, IWLA Clubs/Gun Clubs and PRWA, predecessor to MDWFA too. I have not seen MDWFA mention on forums in years, we might have crossed paths in the past?

·
Registered
349 Posts
I remember Morgan, doubt he's still with us and a Steve H. not Steve C., was Steve C. with MSA ? We supported each others organization, helped the Fur Trappers several times, they gave us a plaque for our efforts.

Sadly other than MD Fur Trappers and MDWFA most of those 1990's/2000's organization have faded away due to lack of the next generation supporting grass root efforts to enhance and protecting their sporting heritage.

41 - 60 of 106 Posts