Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left out of Norview about 7:30a.m and was greeted with more than what the weatherman called for but we headed south to 41. TRolled all over the area for several hours with few marks and no FISH!!!!!!! Tried 40ft and 60+ foot depths to no avail. Heard of a few fish caught but I never saw a rod bend on anyones boat. Been a very lousy season for the Bay and it seems to get worse each year! The best part of thr trip was the usual stop at DIGG's Seafood for the ole' Crab Muffin and a 6 pack of 8oz bud lt's. I am so looking forward to moving my boat to Va Beach in hopes I will gave a good day soon. The old black cat with the painted white stripe on his back strikes again!!!!!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
we left norview about the same time and went north to the leroy. worked that area for an hour and trolled to the cut, down the cut to 53 and across to 2r and back into the river. nada. marked plenty of fish between the cut and 2r but no takers. water temp from 39.4 to 41.3.

frog

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks for the reports, which I was sorry to hear were disappointing. I had been invited to fish on Sunday, but with the weather forecast of snow and slush combined with these reports from guys who have been catching fish, it validates my decision to stay home on Sunday. I know that the diehard striper fishermen may say that it will be perfect striper weather, and I would probably be out there if I knew where to find some fish, but this information means I should think about winterizing the boat and concentrating my outdoor efforts on duck hunting.
I still hope to fish one more time this winter in the Rap near my house, but I don't think I will be making any long runs without any knowledge of fish being in the area.
Tom

·
Registered
956 Posts
Strange swath of 20kt wind moved down the bay as the morning wore on. Well predicted by NOAA PORTS site. Arrived at north end of cut around 10AM. Trolled an hour with nothing to show. Ran lenght of cc and then south to 42. Small flock of small birds working over small fish beginning around 2PM. One keeper out of ten or so fish. At least we left the skunk before returning home. May be the last trip of the year for me.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've heard the fish are full up. Gorged..everything's later this year and VIMS needs to run the season to Jan31..
Mark

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
84 Posts
[grin]
Saturday. Overall, a very slow day. Santa came from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Two fat cows, 38 plus inches, near Buoy 38. Krunch.

·
Registered
512 Posts
We drew a skunk Sat too. First in a long time. If water temp goes below 42 this time of year your in for a long day. Some fish are still here but will be hard to catch unless we get a warm up. No Ocean run fish this year to speak of. If we can't figure out whats making the Ocean run pass up the turn in the bay were going to be in for short seasons. Up until this week I was hoping what they said about everything running 3 weeks behind was true especailly with the luck we had last week but I think We've seen the best of it unless you can fish the ocean and are willing to run into NC. I don't know if its water quality or just there is so much for the Ocean fish to eat in the ocean they have no reason to turn up the bay but every year the bay fishery is getting worse. I mention water quality because I will stand behind we are catching better in the Rapp since all those Oyster beds were introduced and I think over half of those big fish you saw caught were migrated in Ocean fish. As a mater of fact I know a lot of small ocean fish migrated into the river because fish caught off boat dock up to two weeks ago were loaded with sea lice. That 15-18 mile up river. I think next years early season will be better as those small fish we caught by the hundreds and released this year will be big enough to keep next year but if you start seeing good catches out of oregon inlet by late November we'll be in for a sorry late season again next year unless you move to the ocean.
Part of a cycle, polution/dead zones or bad management of bay fishery I just don't know.

Were going to move the boat one day this week back to Remlik weather permiting and proably give the river a try next weekend. If a miricle happens I'll run back out for the last week.

Bobby

1 - 9 of 9 Posts