Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Spear-Fishing & Diving thread has slowed down a bit lately. Perhaps we should begin think about warmer days and water temps. Anyone have a great local dive site and/or a story to share?

Glen

·
Premium Member
26,248 Posts
I dive alot near Annapolis in the Chesapeake bay for anchors.The ones I find I sell at fishing flea markets during the winter.Amazing how many anchors get claimed by their owners.They tell me exactly where it was lost and the type of line/shackle that was rigged.Alot of people drew maps for me to go and try to find their lost anchors-some of the snags are new to me.I'm looking forward to late May when the bay is warm enough to go "anchor fishing" again. Skip

My son helping me get ready to go in.

Tyler holding one of my "catches".Once pressure washed -they look like new (almost ).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skip,

About 25 years ago I came across a very large anchor, chain and about 300' of line in one of the many eastern shore coves. I took the treasure (big bucks) to a nearby marina and turned it over to the dockmaster. The dockmaster told about a yacht that had reported releasing its anchor when high winds jeapordized their vessel.

Glen

·
Premium Member
26,248 Posts
Glen-it is unreal how many I find.Some dives (one tank) can yeild 5-6 anchors.Most are danforths but now/then I find a plow type worth $100.00 or more.Most I sell for $10-20.00.I make almost enough to cover an airfill card :rolleyes: but it's fun (in a weird twisted way ).My son got certified this fall-he's almost 11-and he wants to try.I plan to take him around the lighthouses up here-viz. is 3-4' and only 12-18' deep. Skip

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skip - gaining experience diving in 3' - 4' visibility certain builds confidence and an appreciation for diving in the Bahamas or Virgin Islands. I did a lot of diving in Delaware, it also has poor visibility most of the time. Glen

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
OC, MD diving has to be my favorite. It's also where I got my Advance C card. I'll never forget that day in May. Seas were calm flat and it was a 90 deg day. We were diving at the Jackspot and everyone was getting ready for their entry when suddenly a shark fin broke the surface. What a rush!:yes:

Between the big bugs and suculent mussels you find on the recs, the vis on some days is very good. But nothing like hanging out at 60' in the murky green section doing your deco stop with the theme song from JAWS going through your mind.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Crabslayer - How long did it take to emply the dive boat once the shark fin broke the surface?

Glen
I was psyched and ready to go, and I was suprised as we had a few female students who were more eager to go than most guys. I told them it was probably a Dusky and not to worry, but if you saw one with tiger stripes...well...

The even funnier part was the first guy in who tied off the anchor to the wreck noticed a line that was moving. As he followed it a bit there was another shark on the end. There was another boat in the vicinity and we figured he was chunking for Tuna.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts