Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boys, it looks this week is going to thaw the tundra. Will it be in time for us to unseat the current leader? Or will we still be chopping our way out next weekend? Only time will tell.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We need two to three days of 45 degree plus to get this Ice out of the river. I'm going to check my cove tomorrow afternoon and see if there is any progress. As Virgil's post showed us the picks arent afraid of the cold.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Clancy... I just went down to the Weems Creek dock... still frozen solid and your slip is entirely dry land... lowest I've ever seen the water level.

I'm hoping this spate of warm weather we're about to get will thaw things out quickly and we can get back to our quest to knock off UJ!

BTW: Cool smilies... :rockon: :devil2: :52: :innocent:

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I'll do my best to get out next Saturday. I think we have a fighting chance to be ice-free by then if the temp forecast proves correct. (Of course, my ice forecasts leave a lot to be desired).

P.S.- I'm sure someone, somewhere, must keep records of such things, so I'm wondering if this is the coldest month we've had without RB freezing across. I'd love to check historical temp logs some day, because I am still surprised that we didn't get a freeze-over. I guess that wind really made a difference (this must have been one of the windiest months we've ever had, too).

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Given what seems to be an extremely prolonged period of very low water combined with very cold temps, I just hope that the grass beds have done been significantly harmed.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Any Truth In Assuming That The Blown Out Water Was Fozen Elsewhere And Remains Locked Up? Could That Be A Reason For Even Lower Water Levels?

Pickerels, Ah Yes, They Love The Cold. Look Where Most People Chase Pickerel And Their Family Namesakes; Up North Where It's A Hell Of Alot Colder Than Here.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I suspect by Saturday most of the cricks will be ice-free. And there'll be one week left to gun for the leader! Phew! Being Number 1 can be somewhat distressing. But i guess it beats being "Number 2"!!!!:sweatdrop:

Hey, I'm already rigging up tandem rigs for spring trolling. :rockon: 2 months to go! :clap:

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Hey, I'm already rigging up tandem rigs for spring trolling. :rockon: 2 months to go! :clap:
Geez, don't forget the Yellow and White Perch runs, which will happen in quick succession after the Pickerel contest. And Pickerel fishing may be at its peak of the year in March. And then there's the Rainbow Trout in Lake Waterford and the Severn Run. Lots of stuff to do before you need to touch those tandems!

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Geez, don't forget the Yellow and White Perch runs, which will happen in quick succession after the Pickerel contest. And Pickerel fishing may be at its peak of the year in March. And then there's the Rainbow Trout in Lake Waterford and the Severn Run. Lots of stuff to do before you need to touch those tandems!
Perchin stuff is ready to go. And while I didn't NEED to touch any tandems, it sure felt good to spend a few hours in my basement tying leaders and packaging a dozen tandems in individual zip-locs.

When I told The Admiral that I was "organizing my tackle", she asked the obvious question, "Does this mean you'll have a nice clear cuddy cabin?"

To which I replied "For the next 2 months, yes!" :clap:

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Don't forget:

Pickerel, Chain --- CLOSED Mar 15 - Apr 30

maybe give'em a little rest
I believe that C&R is allowed (and don't forget that Yellows are C&R-only in the Severn at all times). Besides, the Pickerel I catch like to be caught (I'm bracing for the jokes about how all small Pickerel like to be caught).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts