Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I could see from the evening weather reports that the cold weather that we had been experiencing has made its way east. Here the weather warmed up considerably beginning last weekend with the temperature in Denver hitting 71 on Tuesday. It's cooled a bit since but yesterday was still nice enough to go fishing. It was a bizarre day though the cold air is just along the Colorado Kansas border and actually backed part way into Colorado. It made for an interesting morning fog as the snow was warmer than the air.

It only got to the upper 30's here in Ft. Collins. It was actually warmer up in the mountains. The temperature kept rising as I drove up the Big Thompson Canyon to Estes Park. There the sun was shining and it was 48 and the warm weather had opened a bit more of the river. The other nice thing was that on Wednesday there were few other people fishing.

During the middle of the afternoon there was a midge hatch that brought some trout up to the surface. But, I just could not entice any of them to hit my dries. I think part of the problem was that I had inadvertently left my floatant at home so my dries did not float very long and they would not hit it subsurface.

So I went back to nymphing and it soon became apparent that the fish had been getting fished pretty hard in this stretch of water. Very few fish showed any interest in what I was pitching. I did have a few of flashes at my flies and managed to hook a couple of trout, a 9" brown and a rainbow that was just shy of 12".

At one point I thought I had hooked a really nice fish. I had cast up into the fast water at the head of the pool and as my indicator came around a big rock that stuck out from the bank at the start of the slow water I saw a large shape come out. The indicator hesitated and I struck. The fish came up and thrashed on the surface and went back down circling the pool. On the 6X tippet I dared not horse it so I let it run around. On it's second pass at the edge of the ice in front of me I noticed the fish had an odd color to it. When it finally tired and I drew it to my net I saw what it was - a 16" sucker. Oh well! It was a good tug on the rod! It took a #24 olive midge larvae.

These are the flies I have been using these last couple of trips.

The largest fly is a #22 and the smallest a #26. On Wednesday the brown hit the #24 red midge larvae, the rainbow the #22 olive one. It will be nice when spring gets here and I can start using flies I can actually see.

Guy

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Guy i'm jealous. Thats some pertty country. Iwould have moved to trout country if I could have gotten my wife away form here. But with two grand kids and another one on the way next month. I couldn't drage hear farther then i did.:)

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Pretty fish. That rainbow almost looks like a golden. Your cold weather has definately hit here. It is the coldest here that it as been in 10 years. The worst part about it is that the stripers weren't even biting at a popular power plant this weekend. The Little Falls gauge is showing temps between 0-1 degrees C. This week might be the first week in a while when there wasn't at least one rod hanging from the rod rack in the back of my SUV. This weekend we are expecting a warming trend, high of 35 degrees forecasted for Saturday. Maybe I'll go trout fishing. I hit LS in Mo County two weeks ago to break in my first 3wt, 6'6" and managed 1 6 inch brownie just up from the bridge. :D

I can't say we have it that bad because Oswego County, NY (home of the Salmon River) got 4-6 feet of snow this week! They even made it on CNN. Probably never again though.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ST,

In looking at the picture of the trout I now realize it is a "cutbow". The spot pattern towards the tail is the giveaway in the picture. They are a pretty fish and the colors seem to be a bit more intense this time of year. Our warmer weather is shortlived as it is back to a more seasonal pattern with highs in the upper 30's to low 40's. But, the dense morning fog is still with us.

Walt,

You could always do a trout "road trip". Prior to retirement, in all my summer trips to fish in the northern Rockies I really had not given this area of Colorado much thought. But there is some really good trout fishing around here. Between the winter saturday seminars at the local fly shops (there are four shops within 20 minutes) and the Fly Fishing Show last month in Denver, I have been finding out about other close by rivers with larger trout. I' ve got lots of water to check out once the weather starts to warm.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Yea guy I think a road trip is in order.;) I just told my wife I havn't seen my nephew sence he has lived out their. Got to set this stage right.:D A friend of mine years ago once told me the fishing wasn't any better out there then here. I told him ya but I'm still waiting to catch my first native cut throat.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts