Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got up at sunrise and had a hard time getting the dogs in the boat - they seemed to be giving me the "your wasting your time look" as they reluctantly got it which is really odd since, they never refuse a boat ride!

Found birds and teeny Rock and W Perch on the surface off of POV - made about 20 casts rinsing off everything in the tackle box with not even a bite. Worked both sides of the river - Nice new oyster bars to the east and POV's chum pipe and rock pile drop off - NADA

Moved out towards the birthday cake and chased those birds a little - some bait on the FF but not much. NADA

Ran out to the chum fleet at Northumberland shoal - No bait, some chum birds and no FEESH

Same thing at 9.

Made 2 drifts along the rip-rap on Lynch Point and another along the 8 - 14' drop off - NOTHING!

Then it started to rain so I went in.

Will be back in two weeks hopefully the pattern changes a little but I think the fish are way up the Yeo - should have fished the area between Krentz' and Oversons!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Rapp was similar on Saturday. An endless supply of undersize striper with an occasional low end keeper. Marked a lot of bait around the WS bridge and tried jigging them up from the pilings for several hours with no love. Saw few other boats working the bridge too but not a lot of action. Also, saw a few trollers out there in the main river but I saw no one catching. Need a little colder water to get them downriver or head well upriver to chase them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got out mid October during a cold spell and did well trolling under birds with small spoons. Tried to jig but the boat was moving so fast in the wind that I couldn't get line down to fish? I am not sure if I need to keep boat stationary ? I am trying to go out early next week , it looks to be a lot cooler. If you all have any tips for jigging in deep water let me know? Thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Badcrowd - Do a search on LTJ there is a ton of info already published here.

For me the critical points of LTJ is figuring out where the fish are - if the tide is running they will usually be hanging out over structure and won't move around much once they trap some bait against points, drop-offs, etc. Once you figure out where they are then you need to figure out how to position your boat with the wind and current so that you maximize your drift over them. Jig size/weight depends on how deep you are fishing as well as the speed of the drift - you need to be able to touch bottom and know it - this is where superbraid line helps out a lot - too much stretch in mono to be effective in deeper waters with lighter jigs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
OK thanks . did a little research . so I am better equipped for it now. Going to give it a go with the super braid next week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts