Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since next week's issue of the Fisherman Magazine is the last for the Mid_Atlantic Edition, who is going to miss the magazine? Do you think we can expect another magazine to fill the gap?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
It will be left as a VOID as Boards like this one trade off info in real time.. Although with some BS

TED

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
never really spent much time reading the reports...
usually just scanned the "how to" articles for tidbits

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Sorry to see it go. I liked the magazine. In fact I got to have a few articles published. If anyone stiil has the ones I've written in and doesn't want them I'd like to have them. For 2010 that would be Nov 11th, June 17th and April 8th issues. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
As reported in the mag, one could opt for a different edition, and, if memory serves me correctly, MidAtl reports would continue in that other edition.

Not sure about general info articles, edition specific articles, CBay reports, advertising, etc. I opted for that other edition and need to play the wait-and-see game for all of that.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
i use to do reports for them each week (when i did reports), i knew many of the guys doing reports for other areas too...............albeit a week late..... they were accurate and honest. no gps #'s but you did get trends. sorry to see it go.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
I for one will miss the MA edition but opted for the NJ edition.

I started getting the Fisherman when I moved to MD in 1990. Saved a bunch of articals on where/when/how and used the info after I got a boat. Learned alot about the bay and tidal tribs as well as freshwater. Some great tackle tips too.

Got a few pics published as well.

MG

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
While I being a guy who has been doing interactive media for the last 15 years is probably part of reason paper magazines are disappearing, I do have an appreciation for them. I actually used to write for the MA Fisherman Magazine. I did some light tackle pieces, some destination pieces and most recently over the last year did some fly fishing articles for them. The fast pace minute by minute updates that the internet provides are hard to beat, but there is something to be said for getting something in 3d in your mail box and sitting down (in one place or another) and reading it. It's sad to see it go for not only that reason, but it helped promote the sport.

There will be a void and I suspect that will get picked up by the internet if it has not already. Recognizing that trend we recently hired to part time assistant editors here at TidalFish.com that will be keeping up and improving the weekly fishing reports we do on the TidalFish.com homepage as well as expanding the article and news section to be more up to date.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Marty, there are no pop ups and if you were a subscriber you'd see less ads. Right not there are a max of three ads on a page. Three only exits when you open a thread, there is a large on at the top, a large one at the bottom and one 300x250 banner in the first post on the right hand side of a thread. If you are only look at the list of threads there are two ads, one at the top one at the bottom. We have always had three or four ads per page on Tidal Fish. We used to have two banners at the top and one on the bottom and one somewhere else at times. Sorry you are not happy, the service is free to use and if you use it as a free service I think expecting you to see a few ads to pay the bills to keep the place going is worth it. Other websites out there have many more ads then 2-4. The sports sites I visit must have at least six, CNN, NYT, etc have at least six with some going down to cover 1/4 of your screen for a second. Do you think all websites, newspapers, magazines, and TV shows should be ad free as well? Even public TV and NPR radio have ads and fund raisers that suck air time to pay the bills. When I get super rich and can afford making this place completely free I will, or you can make a large donation to the cause and I will take all the ads down, until then one or the other, we're going to have to put up with a few ads so we have a place in the first place and even then I've said I do my best to keep the ads down because I am a user of the site as well and understand about having a good experience, I see the same experience as you do.

Pardon that :soapbox: to those of you that did not spark it. It's simply after a while it wears on me when I do the very best to keep this place going and improving and keeping the ads down and when someone is continually:poke1: it gets a bit old. :)):yinyang:

·
Registered
547 Posts
Brandon,
Until the critics run their own business, they will never understand the need for advertising. I appreciate the ads because i know the value behind them.

Shame on you Marty!!!:nono:

Kevin

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
The ironic thing is that the very magazine which is the subject of this thread is going out of business because it ran out of advertisers. With out advertisers we lose good resources because it costs money to produce media products and while subscriptions help greatly, they do not pay all the bills. Anyway, I feel better now that I venteddancedance:))

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Brandon; sorry for the sore eye.

I am a subscriber on The Hull Truth, and CBAngler doesn't have "pop ups"; so I can put up with this type of advertising on one of three boards.

Have a great day;
5th (Marty)

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Marty

I do not know what your point in telling me/us you are a subscriber of the Hull Truth and not here? I counted six ads on their forum index page alone. We serve at max four. They stick ads right in threads as well, except they use large ones (728x90) vs our 300x250. They are also collecting all sorts of data from you when you visit their site, which would make sense since they are owned and run by a large company, the owner sold out a while ago. I am not knocking their site, I read it sometimes as well, my point is calling us out vs them does not much make sense when they have a bunch of ads as well. At the end of the day they have to pay the bills just like we do, advertising does that. CBAngler was started and is run as a promotional thing for an electronics company. It sprouted up as a brain child of some people who were mad at another group. They are no where near the size of TidalFish.com and its a promotional thing for them. If you find more satisfaction from visiting those other sites, best to you, different strokes for different folks. But for you to continually be :poke1: me is not going to get you anywhere and it just makes you look like a whiner to the community. I am always open to feedback and because of some of it over time I've made changes fast because the feedback was really good. But when I hear a message over and over like you for some reason think is necessary it is just beating a dead fish fishbeat

At the end of the day we have a great community here at TidalFish.com and if the price we have to pay to keep is going is to see a few ads then I think its worth it. if you do not think so, I respect that.

My wish for you is that you do not see any advertising during your daily travels because it clearly upsets you and I hate to see anyone upset. Best to you and yours for a happy ad free holiday season.
Brandon

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Bottom Knocker,

Thank you, because there are no pop ups on Tidal Fish. Marty is incorrectly calling banner ads that have flash in them pop ups. I think he just might have it out to get us at the extent he has taken this whole thing....but what do I know.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Brandon; thanks for the holiday wishes, and the best to you as well. I know a lot of people have been bustin your &alls about the pop ups, but I believe this might be the fist time I ever mentioned them (I may be wrong, but I think it is).
I know I shouldn't complain because I don't subscribe, but the thing that bothers me is that the adds interfere with your site working properly. I use IE and I understand that if I used firefox that might help. But what occurs is when I try to post, or go to another form at the same time an add is "popping up", it kicks me off your site and I have to wait and get back on. This happens sometimes when the side adds come up; but always when the chevy add comes on and there is a "voice over" for chevy.
I really didn't mean to get this far under your skin. Put something in your eggnog and have a pleasent evening. I'll sit on the sidelines again for awhile.
5th (Marty)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.