Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know there are a ton of guys on here who troll.
Heres the question I pose.

Do you prefer tandums or umbrella rigs when trolling???

I much prefer tandums as they have much less drag but have caught many fish on umbrellas too.

What say you?

Boz

·
Registered
629 Posts
I will mix it up with tandems, small umbrellas and large umbrellas - white and green. Use a couple storm type shads too - elephants eat peanuts.
-Sean

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've heard upper bay guys like umbrellas better because the water isn't as clear as it is down south and they provide more attraction then tandems do. Personally I've had just as good if not better success running singles over tandems. But I run just about everything umbrellas, tandems, singles, daisy chains. Everyday is different on whats hot and whats not.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I run "brellas" tandems, daisys, singles and spoons. Whatever it takes to put fish in the boat

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
I think day in/day out umbrella rigs will catch more fish.When the bite is really tough- I'll put more of them out.

I prefer singles and tandems - much less drag through the water.Daisy chains are a nice compromise.

The spoons run hot/cold - but I always have a few out.One neat rig in spring is a 11/0 or 13/0 Cripple Alewive spoon on a 4 foot leader behind an umbrella :yes:.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'm with Skip. I would like to pull all singles or tandems; but umbrellas take a lot of fish, so we usually have at least four to six umbrellas out and the rest tandem.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I run almost all umbrellas. Keeps teenage boys busy pulling them in and resetting them.
Besides, they catch alot of fish.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Tandums for me. There catch rate is awesome and are a low drag bait. I hate umbrella's. Umbrella's are hard to pull in without a fish on and take out allot of the fun factor. I used to pull the umbrella's with the tube eels, which worked good and are not too bad as far as drag goes.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I run everything, brellas, tandems, Storms, spoons......even combinations - Umbrellas with spoons as bait, tandem parachute and spoon, tandem storm shad and parachute, umbrellas with Storms as bait.......gotta mix it up, what works one day may not the next.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I normally run 4 umbrella rigs and 6 "others". I've actually had better luck with single chutes than tandems. I had a bad experience with a runaway stretch so I'm reluctant to run them (don't ask because I don't know what the hell happened). Bunker spoons are great. But when the bite is slow, and nothing else seems to work, the umbrellas usually come through. My biggest ones have all been taken on them.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I guess to answer the question, I dont prefer either, I prefer single chutes, but as someone else said, tandems = more hooks int he water, umbrellas = bigger silhouette so easier to see...I run them all, but if I had my druthers I'd run nothing but single chutes...if I run umbrellas I run them short and deep so I dont have to reel them in far

·
Registered
248 Posts
Both. I like pulling umbrellas from the boat rods and tandems from the planers. The fight is much more fun on tandems, but I have to admit, the umbrellas tend to catch more fish.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Boat rods are umbrellas and 24 oz singles (Chesapeake bay lures) except for the WWB. 21 Tony and a 6oz parachute. All board rods are mixed up. No two are the same. Ten rods assorted tandum and singles for the boards. I sometimes sneak a small umbrella onto the board closest to the boat w/ a 6oz 50 ft back and it gets hit a lot. Purple smiley jack:thumbup: My theory is that the boat rods with umbrellas resemble a tight bait ball and the rods on the planners and 180ft + boat rods are the "stragglers" that are easy pickins for the rock:yes:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Try using the smaller 12" 4 and 6 teaser umbrellas, significantly less drag. Use twisters instead of shad as teasers too for less drag. Work just as good as the larger umbrellas.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts