Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
I had been taking 2/day for several years. My HDL/LDL/Triglycerides have been fine. Last year I stopped taking them. Just had my Physical. All my numbers were slightly better than last year :clapping2:... I am also 7 pounds heavier...:eek2:

Doc says fish oil only helps Triglycerides...

Mike

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see the same article was posted in another thread. Guess it does not hurt to post it two places. With the fish oil pill business at 1.2 billion annually, it is easy to see why company "scientists" tout the benefits of fish oil. If you read the entire article, which is rather long, you can see there is very little evidence of any benefits to taking fish oil at all. A current large study with 26,000 participants may shed further light on the subject.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wild Bill,

Have you done any fishing this season?
Yes Steve, I have fished for stripers just about every week since April--usually multiple days.

I fished above bridge this Tues. We are catching legal fish each trip and some nice ones. Compared to the past, what we are catching is unspectacular and not worthy of reporting. This is the new normal. I am fishing the bay more than ever because I have some good guys who are excited to go and a couple of buds with boats at a marina near the bridge. Because of the drive I try to fish two days in a row, if we can get the weather. With my boat we start from the east side. If in one of my bud's boats, we fish out of a marina on the west side.

From what I am hearing and seeing, there are few stripers down south and most are congregated in a rather small portion of the Chesapeake. There are charter boats from Solomons and Tilghman up north. In my opinion that says something about the population, but that is another discussion.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Bill,

Thanks for your perspective, its always great to have you post on Tidalfish and to hear you are catching some fish in MD waters!

You and I are both in agreement with a lot of other rec fishermen that believe the striper population is down overall and there are far fewer large fish than we had even a few years ago, much less the numbers and sizes of fish that were available a decade or so ago.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Bill,

Thanks for your perspective, its always great to have you post on Tidalfish and to hear you are catching some fish in MD waters!

You and I are both in agreement with a lot of other rec fishermen that believe the striper population is down overall and there are far fewer large fish than we had even a few years ago, much less the numbers and sizes of fish that were available a decade or so ago.
DIDO.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
The lesson here is that it's better to eat fish than to take concentrated fish oil supplements. The corollary lesson is that Menhaden are more valuable to our health if allowed to be used as forage by species that we can later eat.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
My doctor recommended that I take fish oil which I did but I switch over to flax seed oil several years ago. Same benefits of omega 10 with out supporting the menhaden fishery.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My doctor recommended that I take fish oil which I did but I switch over to flax seed oil several years ago. Same benefits of omega 10 with out supporting the menhaden fishery.
x2 Need to spread the word about substitutes for fish oil.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
A piece in the August, 2013 Journal of Family Practice cited a large meta-analysis by Rizos, et al as a basis for making a strong recommendation that physicians "Stop recommending omega-3 fatty acid supplements for cardiovascular protection. They have no significant impact on all-cause mortality, acute myocardial infarction, sudden death, or stroke." The recommendation was accompanied by a banner proclaiming this to be a "practice changer". The three lines below were "cut and pasted" from that citation.

PRACTICE CHANGER

Stop recommending omega-3 fatty acid supplements for cardiovascular protection. They have no significant impact on all-cause mortality, acute myocardial infarction, sudden death, or stroke
1. Rizos E, Ntzani E, Bika E, et al. Association between omega-3 fatty acid supplementation and risk of major cardiovascular disease events: a systemic review and meta-analysis. JAMA. 2012;308:1024-1033.[PubMed]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3786657/

Simply stated the best evidence we have is that omega 3 acids, taken in the form of pill or capsule form do not offer any cardiovascular health benefits. Evidence from early studies which suggested that to be the case have been repudiated by follow up studies. The study by Rizos, et al, involved a review of 20 randomized controlled trials (RCTs, considered the gold standard type of clinical trial) involving over 68,000 patients.
That being said, there was no evidence that Omega 3s and PUFAs, consumed in dietary fish or pill forms, caused any harm to patients. So the following statement was included in the study:
There's no need to tell patients who wish to take omega-3 supplements not to do so, but we should not promote their use for the sole purpose of cardiovascular disease protection. The one caveat that I would add is that billions of dollars are spent annually in the US on nutraceuticals, dietary supplements, and vitamins - and the vast, vast majority of these products have no proven benefit for general consumption. e.g. B12 for someone with pernicious anemia? Absolutely beneficial and necessary. For everyone else? Uh, waste of money. But it's hard to convince some folks not to part with their money when there's some slick marketing and a guy, or better yet a good looking female, in a white jacket saying that this is good for you. And taking that pill gives you the confidence that you are doing something good for your body today. You haven't gone to the gym for three weeks, but taking this pill counts, right?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Who knew that a company would find a way to extract snake oil from a fish? :))

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
A scientist at the human nutrition research institute lab at USDA, back when I was working there, told me that vitamin E is just as good as fish oil. Have never confirmed that or even researched it but we got to talking about menhaden and he said I don't know what the craze is about the fish oils vitamin e has the same benefits.

-Evans

1 - 15 of 15 Posts