Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am flying down to the keys the second week of feb and wanted to do atleast a day or 2 of fishing down there. i have never fished there before and was wondering what type of fish are running now, would it be a waste of my time to go try to find some sailfish, or should i stick with fishing tarpon. i have never been there before so i dont want to pay money to go offshore when the bite is inshore. and if anyone has ever fished down there if you have any recommendations for who to fish with it would be appreciated. i am planning on fishing out of islamorada. thanks

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
202 Posts
offshore. ton of sails and even if they decide not to show up, grouper, snapper, and more grouper

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well I haven't been around here in a while due to family issues but I will also be in that neck of the woods around then. Feb. 9-13th

I know they are catching grouper, snapper, sails, and some swords if the weather is right. We are going to be down between Islamorada and Marathon camping, fishing and diving.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Spend several wks there every year. Sails will be just over the reef, check Capt. Brian Cone (33'World Cat). Fished beside him many times and he continually amazes me with numbers he puts up on all species. (305)664-2278 phone#

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you guys im going to check it all out...i would love to catch a sail...i just started offshore fishing this past summer only caught tuna and mahi...i am used to the bay where i slaughter rockfish all the time...so i figure while in the keys fish it up

·
Registered
289 Posts
I was down in the keys a few years back and was shocked at how much marine life is there. One minute you are catching a sail, the next a barracuda, the next a grouper, and all around the same area. Pretty incredible! Good luck!

·
Registered
149 Posts
you might want to try a head boat

theres plenty of them down there. I'm going on the yankee captain out of key west to the dry tortugus fishing and staying on the 115ft. boat for three days. Don't forget to go down to the city docks and look at the huge tarpin around the docks. Go to the ship dock at sundown and see the little shows that are there. Theres a sword swallower there thats remarkable there and I here he gets free drinks at acouple of the gay bars on the strip. You have to go to sloppy joe's in the evenning wild place.

ps you might try florida sportsman and go to forums hit keywest fishing reports that will help

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Its been years since I have been down but if you plan to bridge fish at all bring a rope(about50') and a chum bag. When you fish off the bridge hang a bag of chum down near your lines and you will be supprised what turns up. Martin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts