Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No not THAT man... the man in the striped suit... with fins. I picked up Dale @ 5AM and headed to Poquoson to meet up with Barclay and fish aboard the Shepard's Pie yesterday. We ran across flat calm seas to the concrete ships area to find Gannets and Pelicans busting the water... always a good sign! There was bait and fish everywhere, top-to-bottom, boiling on the surface, just awesome.

We set out eels with 15-30 ft. of line under the bobbers on 6/0 hooks, and it was ON. Double and tripple hook-ups were common. All of the fish were between 37 and 43.999 inches.

Dale with a 43.5" fish caught on his pup rod... a BLAST to watch him fight it!

Around 12 we made the "One more drift" call. Not long after that my bobber goes down and I come tight on the fish, only to have it "freight-train" the other way... always a good sign! When he came to the surface it was obvious: It was "The Man". Once netted, measured and pic taken, he was released to make another angler's day in the future. I've netted a lot of citation sized stripers over the years, but this was my first!

49.5" Striper

This drifting with eels is FUN. A couple things I've learned that may help others:
Keep the reel engaged... no free-spool.
A 1 oz. egg sinker above the leader will help keep the bait down.
Barrel swivels work better than snap swivels to connect the running line to the leader.
A rubber band is better than a bobber stopper because it can be easily adjusted or taken off completely.
The smaller the bobber the better.

Lastly, after figuring out photobucket, here's a couple of picks of the new "Honey Hole":

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Sweet fish Al...congrats on the new personel best. Gonna have to get out soon and find mine.

·
Registered
289 Posts
very nice fish. congrats. i have done some ltj-ing down there but i need to try eeling next time.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Purdy fish Al. I heard some people calling Barclay, but never heard him respond and didn't see his boat. That boat is really sharp looking too.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Very nice work by Dale & yourself Al.
Will you be taking your new ride offshore this year? Looks like it would do well for the usual suspects.
Evan.

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys... I'm just tickled over the new ride.

Darren - we didn't turn the radio on all day.

Byrd - it's powered w/ a 454... the last year they made the IO.

As for the offshore thing, I'm not geared up for it from a tackle prospective... and not sure I want to open that can of worms.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Excellent day, Al.....

I couldn't agree with you more that drifting eels is probably the best thing going. Carolyn said it was more fun than working the bridge pylons because the current would rip and make it less fun than drifting on the open bay.

The other neat thing is PLENTY of room between you and the rest of the troops out there. Smaller numbers of people want to play C&R and this time of the year there are fewer people in general to deal with.

Glad that you got "the Man". Ain't it GREAT!!!

BTW.......damn nice boat to drift in!!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
BIGGGG AL, congrats on both items,that boat looks sweet.
Its a good thing its release only,ole helen would have a fit finding you in the shower with that hog of a striper:) Now are you still going to use your same method of attracting cobia on the shoals on
this nice of a ride?:D
Good job bud.

·
Registered
750 Posts
nice job son !!! that/she had to be a el-slobo- got me a nice four day weekend coming up and weather dependant plan on doin it again! i got to lighten up on the tackle though, the trolling stuff is just overkill!!! congrats again dude!! craig

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tom - I'll tell you, drifting eels from the cost standpoint as well as the aggrivation side has trolling beat, hands down.

Claude - I figure I can really sling it off the bow of THAT boat!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Never a dull moment with Al in the house with memories of the "Cumming on the Shoals" days.

Really nice fish Al and the boat should fit the bill also.

DEAN

1 - 20 of 36 Posts