Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very new to the bay so this is the plan for Saturday and I was hoping for some input from those with more experience:

• It’s a 2+ hour run for me to get into Lynnhaven. I’ll get there just after 8am. I want to make to the north island to work the end of the flood tide by throwing some storm shad around the rocks, drifting as I can Perhaps move over to the south island at some point.
• Then I’m going to troll bay side of the bridge with a couple of Stretch 25+ lures on each side of the boat. My boat is only 19’ and I have one rod holder on each side.
• If no action I plan to put out two umbrella rigs, one on each side, perhaps make it out on the other side of the bridge through the tube at the 3rd and 4th islands (weather and wind permitting).

If never fished with an umbrella rig so any input or hints on those would be appreciated. The weight on the center hub seems heavy enough to me so that with 75' or so out I should get the enough depth. I’ll have them on a Penn 330 reel with 30 lb test and 4’ wire leader. I’m a bit concerned that 30 lb test is lite. Any suggestions or input on what else to try? If anyone else will be out there I'm "Stubby" on channel 68.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Might want to rethink your plan...It will be quite sporty for a 19' rig.

SAT
S WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...BECOMING SW IN THE AFTERNOON. WAVES 2 TO
3 FT. SHOWERS WITH A CHANCE OF TSTMS IN THE MORNING...THEN SHOWERS
LIKELY IN THE AFTERNOON.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I would agree...close to shore on the south side it will be calm but even out the 1st/2nd island it will be bumpy.

If you do go out, I think I would stick to casting storms along the islands and then pilings. Putting an umbrella back 75ft and trolling along the pilings will probably result in a lost rig. The current will slowly move your boat and then your rig closer to the pilings and you'll lose it. If you can keep it off just off the pilings, you may very well get into some fish but I think you'll have a hard time doing that.

If/when you get out, try casting/jigging the rocks and then pilings where they meet the rocks. Lots of rubble out even 5-6 piling sets out from the islands.

Glenn

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You ought to be Ok to the small boat channel or just past from Lynnhaven or Little Creek....schoolies have been being caught in the area for a while now.

I have seen 3's at the 1st island on a South 20 plus so be careful, water temp is around 58 and people need to remember that it doesn't take long for hypothermia to set in if something goes wrong during the winter.

Last week I heard the CG was looking for a missing person from an abandoned kayak around Lynnhaven...never heard the out come.:confused:

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
If you do make it out there early in the morning cast topwater to the rocks lots of fun with schoolies on light tackle. Try chuggers and poppers but seriously becareful a S wind aint nothing to mess with in a 19 footer...Good luck

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. When I looked on Monday the wind was going to be 10 mph from the west, but that didn't take long to change. With 20 mph and rain I may be more inclined to watch someone else fish on the TV while I practice tying up some wire leaders. I've fished in the rain and wind many times in the past, but on head boats that have more length, more width and a Capt with experience. Much as I want to fish I have no desire or intention to be a statistic. As for the umbrella rigs, at $35 a piece I don't want to lose them before they bring in some fish. Not being familiar with how much depth they run I may try them a bit further out when conditions permit.

As to the Kayak, I was amazed to see those guys out at the north island a couple of Saturdays ago. It was a nice day but still that's a bit extreme, at least for me. If the winds come up fast they've got some work getting back.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Roger the snotty forecast

Stubby,

I've had generally good experiences with the weather.com/boat & beach/ zipcode 23455 and then scroll down to the NOAA Marine forecast for New Point Comfort to Cape Henry. No "weather guesser" is dead on, and surely sometimes that one's way off, but it's as close as I've found for what actually turns out to be the wx along the CBBT.

Plus, you can go straight to NOAA.gov/oceans/buoys and click up the Southeast, then to the Bay map, to "CBBV-2", which is the NOAA station on the First (South) Island. That gives you real-time windspeed and direction. Water temps, too.

I'm already planning to spend my Saturday time no further out than the first small boat channel and the Little Creek jetty area, or perhaps inside Lynnhaven. I've been at the Third and Fourth often enough in 20kts in my old 21' CC to declare "no mas".

Foy
"Dora Jane", sailing from Taylor's, ch 16/68

·
Registered
266 Posts
2-3's usually meen add at least +1'. Also keep in mind while making it out to where you want to fish, you always have to make it back in as well.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Foy. I'm going to look long and hard for somewhere to fish Saturday, even if I just go to Ocean View Pier with some rain gear and hang a rod over the railing. It's closer and I can always go into the resturant for a beverage. If I do head to Lynnhaven I'll ring you up on 68.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2-3's usually meen add at least +1'. Also keep in mind while making it out to where you want to fish, you always have to make it back in as well.
Making it back is always the plan, with fish or without. Like I said, no interest here in being a statistic.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Making it back is always the plan, with fish or without. Like I said, no interest here in being a statistic.
You could always stay inside rudee or lynnhaven and load up on some trout, pups and the occasional schoolies. the inlet is pretty blocked from the wind and pretty protected. just a thought

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Ditto with Fin Fever, the inlets have been good lately if you're wanting to wet a line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts