Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies for this late report. I don't have dial up at our home in White Stone, so most reports wait till I get to a broadband connection.

Did a lot of fishing last week with my youngest son Travis. Hit or miss for us up around 59A and Fleets Bay. Never hit it when it was hot. Just a few catches here and there.

Heard about those electric chickens on the radio and ran up to Walmart to see if they had some. Started in the TV/Stereo section figuring this had to be some battery powered gadget. Eventually ventured into the fishing section. Ran into a complete stranger that helped me out. He explained exactly what those chickens are. Walmart was sold out, but the guy picked up another Storm Shad (chartreuse package of five) and said "these should work on an umbrella rig ... directly attached w/o the leader ... except for the middle storm".:helpsmilie:

This rig was so easy to build and cheap!!! Storm Shads attached to all four eyes of the umbrella, and the 5th running down the middle with a 10" leader. I figured I had nothing to lose by not throwing it behind the boat ... after all, we hadn't been slaying 'em on any other rigs.

After my first day with the rig fishing with Travis I pulled into my brother's dock on Dymer Creek. He ventured out and eyed all my gear. He honed right in on that cheap lazy umbrella rig, picked it up, and declared "This will never catch any fish. You can't attach your Shads like that! Those Shad won't play correctly."

Lo and behold, without him knowing it, that rig was the only rig to land a fish that day; in fact, the Rock hooked himself right on one of the Storm Shads attached to the umbrella wire. :yes:

Later in the week, Friday, Nov 28th, that rig landed my other only sole catch for the boat. This time a 36" Rock took the correct Shad running from the middle of the umbrella with the 10" leader.:clap:

Caught this guy just east of the RP buoy.

Picture is of my son Travis and his friend Danny Cook (holding fish). Ignore the date, the camera was incorrectly set.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nice fish=big smiles.

You can also put snap swivels on the ends of the umbrella arms and snap the storm shads onto those. That will give them a little more action for a little more cost.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Congrats! Be sure to add snap swivels to your storm shads like Laker said. A handful of small 6 arm Storm-brellas in pearl/chart/bunker various sizes covering the water column and a stretch 25/30 is my standard spread because it always seems to put fish in the boat.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Planning to add the snaps and planning to make more of these cheap rigs. Just my type. I really liked this rig because it is also so much easier to store than all my other tandems, etc..

I'm like most folks, always throw a Stretch way back. My first big one was caught on a Stretch, and I have never forgotten them.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Chartreuse Storm

6" trailer is my money lure every year - put a mojo on a three way and the storm will get the multiple hook ups and the mojo will get boss hawg. Finally had to retire one after a season and a half of rockfish teeth, it was coming off the weight. Should have put it on the wall.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
David, don't forget to pick up that lawn mower. Sitting out in front of the house for you with your name on it ... but first come first serve. Maybe someone on the board will find better use for it ;-)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad that rig and storms worked out. I haven't been out since I met you and your son in WallyWorld last weekend. I hope to go north and east out of fleets bay the next couple of weekends looking for big ones. Give Sea Drive a shout on 68 if you're out....

You could also put some weights in-line and vary the depths. I don't because I run 2 drops, 1 umbrella, 1 stretch, and 1 flatline. If you run a stretch with an umbrella, don't use a weight and put the umbrella out much farther than the stretch, and on the other side of the boat. Stretch meets umbrella will be very ugly.

Have you tried the tandem chart bucktails with 6" chart sassy shads, with a chart 32 oz mojo w/ 12" chart sassy? It's a killer drop for all size fish.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SeaDrive,

Thanks for piping in. I hope you've gotten some satisfaction from seeing that your rig idea worked. I did put an in-line weight on that umbrella.

I did have some tandems out last week ... not exactly as you prescribed. They were white parachutes with sassy shads. Not one bite all Thanksgiving week. Taking this weekend off. Will be looking to see how things shape up for next weekend. Will plan to rig up some more of the SeaDrive Umbrellas and possibly a new tandem like you mentioned above.

Will certainly give you a shout.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts