Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two penn senator and 330GTI setups with 30Lb test. I want a setup that will do both trolling and give the fish a chance. I want to feel the rod bend the drag work and not just reel it in with a broom stick feel. I can troll with my 330s behind them the umbrellas and tandems but can I do it with a smaller reel and rod? If not, can I troll with a bucktail or similar size lure on a smaller setup that will produce?

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
except for the 30 lb test you should be fine for "spring" trolling.
i would move up to 50lb main line and 80lb leader in the spring.

i use GT320i's on Penn Slammer rods for the rest of the season on the upper bay.
i use 50lb Stren SuperBraid and 30lb mono leaders.
the 320's are a little small to handle the umbrellas.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've got a couple of lighter outfits that I use just for that purpose. One is Ugly Tiger 15-40 7 foot rod with a Penn 310GTI. I still put the same 50 lb power pro braid on it that I use on the bigger rods. It does make for more fun pulling in a fish. I only use tandem rigs on the light stuff - no umbrellas. You do have to be carefull with going too small. If you plan to release the fish you want to make the fight as short as possible to improve mortality on the release. You can wear a fish out so much that it won't survive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ejohns, you have the right idea. When I am trying to bottom fish (trolling), I use 320GT's on 20-50 lb custom rods, a little lighter then the Senators but still able to pull an umbrella or a daisy chain / mojo combination. If I am not trolling the heavy stuff I use Penn International 975LDs on 7ft med-heavy fast action rods. Kinda like a baitcaster rod but made for saltwater with a long butt. Makes fishing a lot more fun. You can troll with Calcutta 400b,s too. I spool the Penns with 30lb Power Pro & it works just fine. Caught a 42 pounder with this setup on a stretch 25 & had the time of my life. I don't think I would want to troll a heavy sinker with it though.

I would much rather catch a Rockfish on a smaller rod then a Tuna Rod any day & thats what I use my TLD 25's & Penn 330's for. It's Fun to hear the drag scream! :clap:

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I run all 330gti's with Penn Senator 3/0 rods (6), Slammer 20-50lb (2 for umbrellas), and 7' Power stick Plus 12-30lb (2-down rigger poles).

However, if I had to get all brand new stuff for trolling the bay I would get GTI320LD w. Penn Special Senator 3/0 rods. (maybe 2 4/0 rods w 330GTI's for umbrellas). I think the 3/0 to be the best weight class for fight and strength on the bay for the spring and fall.

With that said, I bought 6 of my 330gti's from a guy who is switching to Shimano Tekotas. I havnt used them but he claims they are a lot nicer than the 330GTI's. However, they better as they are quite a bit more expensive. You may want to check them out if you have extra $$$

Here is gw204 working a 38" fish on a senator 3/0 rod:

·
Registered
829 Posts
My perfect affordable setups:

Medium to heavy
Shimano Tallus 6'6" medium heavy rod. Rod has 8 eyes for plenty of backbone but is also light enough at the tip to pull spoons and lighter stuff. Strap on it an Okuma T20L spooled with mono for light lines or top shot of 80# Power Pro for deep heavy stuff.

Heavy
Shimano Telavera 6' 20-50# heavy rod. Rod has 7 eyes and plenty strong to pull anything. Strap on it an Okuma T30 2 speed and you are set for pulling it big fish on big lures. I wouldn't be afraid to take this setup trolling for tuna.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
I pull a 10 rod spread built on IGFA 20 or 30 lb line class blanks. Combined with 330 GTi for their drag capacity and lightness in weight, they make formidable weapons in the pursuit of the striped ones.

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Penn has a Dave Workman edition king mackeral rod.7' long-all roller guides.Combined with a 320 LD and 50 lb braid and you have a great outfit.Can land the big fish but let's you feel the small ones.I would not use umbrellas but tandems or single parachutes are perfect.Outer Banks sells one that is almost the same but about 1/3 cheaper. Skip

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
That is a senator combo. It is a nonlevel wind reel with a star drag. They are probably the toughest reel ever made. The 330GTI has the same drag as the Senator 4/0. I would chose the GTI due to the level wind for the bay (helps in setting lines out and with inexperienced guests) . however, the senator is a better offshore reel for catching fish that strip line quickly which can cause a level wind problems. The 330gti combo at BW is about as heavy as I want for the bay. I have 2 of those that I use to pull umbrella rigs. I prefer the medium action senator 3/0 pole for tandems and small umbrellas as the 4/os are too stiff for me. Stop by boaters world and check them out for yourself.

Personally, the 320gti LD and 330gti LD are probably the best reels for the buck on the bay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts