Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished "The Secret Life of Lobsters". I found it fascinating (i don't get out much)[grin] Great tale of Commercials and scientists working together, the government trying its best not to be helpful; a success story of how science can play a huge role in understanding a species and how to manage it, as well as a long-standing tradition of protecting egg laying females by the lobstermen.The government was convinced the decline was caused by overfishing; the lobstermen and scientists weren't convinced.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too hard to describe quickly –you should read the book, it’s really interesting and enjoyably readable.

NMFS said lobsters were “overfished” – Lobstermen needed to return more egg-laying females of a certain size back. More eggs=more lobsters. Except that the lobstermen had been throwing “eggers” back and “notching” females and culling undersized lobsters since the early 1900’s. The lobstermen and the scientists proved that it was a LOT more complex than that, and learned a whole lot about lobsters to boot. Habitat, environmental conditions, “superlobster” migration, all played a large role in population explosions and declines ( as did increased fishing pressure during abundance periods) It sounds like they can predict future declines pretty well, but whether or not they can use that knowledge (or should) to moderate harvest remains to be seen.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I remeber hearing/reading something about the throwbacks being gobbled up by stripers and other species as the sank back to the bottom? Thanks for the heads up on the book!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't see that, but there was a part about an especially prime piece of lobster habitat that was covered with cod- it wasn't fished because the trawls would get hung- the cod did some serious damage to the lobster larvae before they could hide in the rocks and grow.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Kevin-Interesting post. I wish I had the time to read the book. This conservation board is sinking as fast as the the bays water quality. Looks like these last few posts are the last of the Mohicans.

Norm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts