Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and some of these I haven't even checked out.
Keep in mind a few of these are virgin or semi-virgin, now that I got your attention.... For one that I know a 4x4 is needed and two are south of OI. Still interested?
Here is the bad news, there is no fresh water to wash-up after the dive and these shore exit may be NOT be as a eassy as you think but if you keep in mind is only 20' to 25' fsw. and yes I shot my biggest sheeepshead so far in 20ft. deep so you don't have to go deep to catch big, well... lets talk about The Plans.[grin]

·
Registered
245 Posts
Living in Kill Devil Hills starting Wednesday and ending late August, have 4x4's (3 of them between the 3 of us living there), 25ft boat (in case you have some numbers on virgin "not-so-shore" wrecks, and 2 guys with guns itching to get some fish...talk to me [excited]
-Ryan

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I'm talking... you need a 4x4 on this wreck and fresh water for the trip. Head North to Duck and to the end of the blacktop, get on the beach and stay on it (north) like if you were going up to Va. Beach. Look on the surf about 100 yards in from the shore, it is visible from the shore. Dive it, leave the big stuff for me and report ASAP, please. LOL I got more for you but I just hate to get bug down on the sand with a van. [grin]

·
Registered
245 Posts
We've also got 2 kayaks we use for the shore wrecks. How far north (once on the beach and off the paved road at Corolla/Corova) is the wreck? Feel free to BMail me if/when you'd like to come down and I'd be glad to drive the sand portion to get some fish [grin]

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The best thing to do is to try to get on the beach during low tide this way it 's a sure thing as fas as find it, but not the best for hunt it.
Offshore you got the Advance, about 8+ NM, at this time it can hold some good size Blacks right inside the weel house and two divers recomended for this one one on each side for best results.

Let me know how you do with the shore dive. Good luck.

·
Registered
245 Posts
We hunted the advance toward the end of last summer with less than stellar results, but we weren't the first divers of the day (or even the only divers at the time) who were on her. We're going to get out there to her probably closer to the beginning of June. Boat's in the shop as of now...and the shop ain't moving too quick with it being the beginning of the season and all. I'll let you know if and when I find and hunt that wreck up north. Thanks for the info.
-Ryan

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The local dive shop in Nags Head takes divers just about every day during diving season, some of them hunt. I never had a problem finding dinner in any of those offshore ARs. Now is a bit too early for sheepshead but Blacks are there if you can get out and there is not too much pressure from the others at this time of the year but you need to keep an eye on the weather, it can get rough in a very short time at this time in that area.

·
Registered
510 Posts
in regard to the clithia, aka state line wreck, aka marble wreck, I know that it is far from virgin, additionally I have heard (cannot confirm for certain) that it is considered a historical site or something and requires a permit to dive on it. but on the plus side I understand that during summer there are some really nice triggers to be caught there. it's about 1/4 mile north of the fence that stops you from driving any farther north on the beaches (unless you have one of the sacred permits) do tell if you hit it up for a dive, I have made the bike ride to it coming from sandbridge. apparently it was a ship full of marble slabs.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are several shore wrecks in KDH and one in Nags Head, I don't know how the surf is now in the OBX but your best spot of those two is the Triangle. The Oriental can bring dinner for one for sure and depending on offshore condotions you can do just fine at the AR140 without to many dive boats and first time dives. Hey, if nothing works I'll see you at the CBBT rocks for some Blacks or even a lg. Spade or two with LOW VIZ.. [grin]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts