Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a thermocell mosquitoe repeller? If so would you recommend or not. I got ate up this weekend hunting and am looking for something to repell the nasty critters.:helpsmilie:

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
They really work. The only down side is that they only work in lighter wind (or no wind). High winds, the mosquitoes can't fly, but there is a range between maybe 10 and 15 when the Thermacell doesn't do much, but the bugs can still fly. When they're that bad, I use a thermacell and spray. Deer may smell something, but you're not going to kill them when you're cussing and swatting, either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love my Thermacell.

It takes a little time for it to warm up before it works, but I'll turn it on at the truck and attach it to my belt on the way into the woods. I would recommend getting the holster, it comes in handy. If it's windy it doesn't work as well, but otherwise it's awesome at keeping the skeeters away.

·
Registered
77 Posts
These things work like a champ!!!

There is only one downfall from my experience and it happened this weekend.
Depending on the wind and how you set up which I did not pay attention to, deer DO smell it. I got whistled at a few times and figured I was done, the deer eventually came around but was very nervous and would stomp and whistle (just a different smell in the woods I guess) never got off a shot that day. I'll stick with the No Stinkin' Bugs. its expensive but at least they don't seem to mind.

My two cents worth.

Good luck :yes:

Mike

·
Registered
657 Posts
It smells like citronella, and deer must be able to smell it. It worked real well up at AI last year for the bugs, but then again I did not see 1 deer the entire hunt when I used it. On the last day I left the new gadget at the house. de scented my clothing that now smelled like a party candle, went back out in the field and shot a deer and saw 2 others within 20 yds.
The thermocell now is just used for camping and fishing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input. I am going to purchase one this week and use this weekend. We will be runnin dogs so a little citronella smell wont hurt anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love mine and they make an earth scent repellant for them now but haven't tried it yet. I have never had a problem seeing deer with it on and I hunt in Dorchester where their bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts