Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NC DMF voted 7-1 (with one abstension) Friday to continue trauling off Kitty Hawk for the remainder 60,000 lbs left in the NC "Quota".* It was reported that one connercial trauler had dumped some 3-4000 fish out of a net once.* That no other fish kills have been reported.Louis Daniels did report that he had received "boxes full" of letters and emails!!!* We have to live with the current DMF board for two more years.* Business as usual for another two years we can only assume!!!* What a tragedy!!!!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
NC's quota is long over! Half of it sank to the bottom DEAD!!!!!!!! Hopefully voters in NC will remember at election time. No wonder other countries around the world hate us. Waste so many great natural resources and still not happy with all we have.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Normally I would never say this, but the Federal Government needs t step in. Even if it just to hold them off. Yes i know they probably have no grounds, but we sure don't matter.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
If a state is not regulating a specific fishery, the ASFMC is supposed to step in and do it for them. Of course North Carolina is regulating it. How responsible they are in regulating it is another thing. I don't see the ASFMC doing anything about it, especially considering their lack of any response to Menhaden.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Really need to be careful about any FED involvement here...NC should not have the Fed restricting their beach access. In my view, the trawler
problem and beach access should both be decided by NC. It is then up to the NC voters to vote out anyone associated with irresponsible decisions
AND those not taking action. For non-NC anglers/tourist/visitors, pressure can be applied by voicing concerns and the threat of $$$revenue loss.

NC is a great state .....Some of their "leaders" simply need job changes.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Really need to be careful about any FED involvement here...NC should not have the Fed restricting their beach access. In my view, the trawler
problem and beach access should both be decided by NC. It is then up to the NC voters to vote out anyone associated with irresponsible decisions
AND those not taking action. For non-NC anglers/tourist/visitors, pressure can be applied by voicing concerns and the threat of $$$revenue loss.

NC is a great state .....Some of their "leaders" simply need job changes.
The problem is, these fish don't only belong to NC. Most of them are only there in passing and will find there way into VA an MD waters next month if they can make it.

To stand by and watch a state who will only see the fish for a month or two reap this type of damage is an atrocity. If NC is not willing to do the right thing, they need to be forced to.

Just saying

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ken...

I live in NC. I was at the meeting in Pine Knoll Shores and if you think what you are reading about that meeting is bad; you should have been there! The tone and arrogance displayed by some is not definable by the written word.

You are right. These fish belong to every state on the east coast. When you live in a state and suffer the frustrations of watching a small group of people with an economic interest in harvesting the resource setting all the rules then after a while frustration sets in and having the Federal government take over doesn't sound so bad. Even if they put some fish off limits to every one for some questionable data interpretation, at least the fish will be there to possibly use later rather than be scooped up by a few for a profit to the point where everything we have inland is listed as "over fished" which is where NC seems to be at the moment.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think we are seeing History Repeating Itself. A few Greedy Bas***ds
are ruining it for everyone. I hope that after this next Moritorium they
will designate Rockfish as a Game Fish and end all commercial harvesting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts