Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, got to get a few plants into the house. Also; went shopping yesterday and had a taste for some tuna steaks. I like mine blacken; the wife just wants her's cooked lightly on the grill. I think I'm going to try my hand at making a blooming onion to go along with it. Tuna steak, blooming onion, baked potato covered with sour cream and a salad with tomatoes, chopped bell pepper; both red and yellow, chopped white sweet onion and a dash of black pepper and salt. I guess I've better get going if I'm going to do all that today.

Acey

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Man, I wish I hadn't read that. I was hungry before but now I am really hungry.

It was 31.8 degrees here this morning and we had some frost. Believe it or not, we had some sleet or ice pellets here around 2:00 pm today as well. There was basically just one big black cloud that came over in an otherwise mostly clear sky. It sprinkled a little rain and ended with some slushy ice pellets.

I moved most of my plants onto the patio against the house last night and covered them with a tarp.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerry I hate seeing the cold weather coming in but there is no stopping old Mother Nature when she says it's time for change; it's time for change. For the last two year I've put up a 10' x 10' sun house down in the Man Cave. It's one you can get at Lowes which is a steel frame which then is covered with a very heavy polly. Shaped like a wall tent with zipper close ends. I built racks out of wood for hanging pots and there was enough room down the center, between the racks where I kept two pony tail palm trees and a small lemon tree. Had hanging from the frame of the structure 3 each, 4 bulb flurescent light units and had a 10" by 10" by 8" ceramic box heater which kept it really too hot (75 to 80) even with it set on low. We had a couple nights last winter down below 0 and it was still 70 when I checked the next morning. I only heat the Man Cave on days I am down there. Watered everything inside of it once a week and that took about 10 gallons of water each week. Well wife has talked me into not doing all that work this year. Did bring the two palm trees and a three year old plant into the house and that's all I'm saving.

Acey

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
You are right, there is no stopping mother nature. I was out splitting wood the other day and saw several flights of migrating Canadian Geese. I view cold weather with mixed feelings. I don't like super cold but I also don't like fishing when it is in the high 80's or above and humid. I love the fall fishing for rockfish and perch and I also love to fish the Yellow Perch when they are schooled up deep from Dec. through Feb. For that, I can put up with the cold unless it is super cold like it was last year. I kept a bunch of Geraniums in my garage last year just sitting on a table. The garage never got below freezing even though we were in the single digits several times. I will probably set them in there again this year.

We had a hard freeze this morning with the low down to 29.1* F. There was still ice in the wheel barrow around 9:30 when I went out to split some more wood.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts