Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still haven't had time to get "out" to fish lately, but another 15 minutes for a few casts from our dock came along today. Had two pickeral on (first and about 5th cast) and landed the second. By the time I got the hook out without damage (the fly had been engulfed) my time was up. the fish swam away, and I headed off for ameeting. This was on a 6 wt rod, floating line, a short (~6ft) leader and a big (1/0) brown, olive, pearl, and flash deciever. Good fun again. Thats my first three pickeral on a fly in 5 days and about 40 minutes of fishing time.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Sweet work Dave. :thumbup:

Is that electric chicken fly line? Where can I get some?

Oh, and pay no attenetion to that Whaler fishing at the end of your pier tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg
Hey, it takes a confident man to fish with lavender fly line! It came on the rig (used on ebay)
I think you would run past a lot of good fishing to come all the way to my dock. But feel free.
I am just looking for time to get away from my dock!

Dave

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Dave, I did get out today. Not as far down as your digs, but did get into some pickerel.
I actually managed 4 at a spot near and dear to JP, and another 7 at an undisclosed location farther upriver. Here are some pics. And one Ned was kind enough to oblige today also.

Fish Tail Ray-finned fish Staple food Fin

Wood Fish Natural material Tail Animal product

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
38 something or another. You are well familiar where I caught my first 4, but all of them were under 20".

Things were slow for a while at my other location, but picked up rather nicely, with 7 good sized fish coming aboard.

All on the fly.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Chris, the flies weren't as pretty as yours, but they still worked. Electric chicken flavored.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It came on the rig (used on ebay)
I believe that I have about 6 fly rods and another 36 or so boat rods from Ebay. Not to mention the number of reels that I have accumulated rather inexpensively from the site. I think I have about 80 or more reel combos, most of them vintage, and all in excellent to near-new shape.

I still use a couple of newer spinning rods, albeit el cheapos, for the pickerel as well as several of my fly rods.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice job getting out today. I did not - but did make the a trip down to the water for a few minutes.
today it took about 5 casts before I saw the suspended deciever suddenly disappear, and felt the line tighten.
A small one - 14 inches or so.
All very encouraging.
I hope to actually get a block of time on the water late morning on saturday. Forecast is pretty good, though chilly. looks like low water in the am and flooding all morning.
Anyone going to be around?

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I want to fish this weekend but am unsure if it will work out with my work schedule. The water up-river will be very turbid, I suspect.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I believe it's supposed to be pretty chilly on Saturday and possibly a wintry mix on Sunday. Not sure about the winds.

I'm lokking to pull my Whaler one of those days and put the little aluminum boat in. The stealthy pickerel machine. Plus I worry less about that one with any sort of ice. And if things get bad enough, I'll just pull her up on the pier...if they'll still let me. :D

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
693 Posts
I want to see that great stealth boat, Greg. Used to have an early '70's 14' Sears/Sea Nymph w/ a 9.9. She did some serious pickerel business!

Got out wading for an hour last Sunday afternoon, on the first of the flood tide. Took one about 21" on a 3" suspending Twitchin' Rapala just outside the pond and a 10" white perch on it inside. That water is COLD! Might have to go to neoprene this weekend.

Best, JPW

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I want to see that great stealth boat, Greg.
JP, I would let you see it if it wasn't for that whole "black ops" thing.

Plant Wheel Tire Property Window

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
693 Posts
OK, Greg. I 'spose this is like the time a group of Seals from the Oceana Naval Air Station chased me away from looking at their big RIBs at the Owls Creek ramp on Rudee Inlet...I have no need to know, till I see you on the river.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
That's great that your husband bought you that nice fly fishing outfit. Does he also fish?
Only when I say so.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey Mill.......Bart here

I just bought Tryons 15ft jon boat and put a 15johnson on it yesterday.

You or anyone seeing any yellow perch yet? It's normally the last week in Jan when they get here on the Choptank.
I'm tired of looking at deer, ready to catch a few fish!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hey Bart,

How's south county treating you?

The Tryons never caught fish anyway. Always thought they should just get rid of all their boats. :D Good deal.

Yellows have been few and far between. Every now and then you find a stray. Nothing like you boys get over on the other side, and the runs over here are pretty much nonexistent anymore.

I'll keep in touch now that I know your handle. Say hello to Andy and the boys.

·
Registered
75 Posts
South county is great! Little slow, but you know how that goes...

Just trying to keep the Fox Pup on the straight and narrow path of fishing,hunting,beer and women.....

You still 19D? Will stay in touch!:D

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
That's right, 19D.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts