Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wish people would just let deer get into range before they shoot. I was at a public hunting area Thursday and could not believe what I was hearing. I must have heard 20 shots coming from the area I was in from 6:30 until 10:30. After returning to the parking area I learned only eight deer were taken .One person shot 4 times and missed all four, he said all the shots were over 100 yards and two were running. There was also a group of five people that were doing drives, they jumped six deer and shot at five missing all but one (which had a bullet hole in its hip and another in the neck). Last fall I shot a large doe from the same area that had a broadhead and 3” of arrow in its ham that had been there for some time. My friend shot a deer that had the bottom half of its leg blown off. Now here is my point. Every one of those misses that morning could have been a wounded deer. 100 yards is in range but not for everyone. I have shot deer at 125 yards but I won’t shoot over 50 without a rest of some kind. Shooting deer on drives is fine also, I have done it many times but shooting at them while they are running straight away isn’t, nor is shooting at one over 40 while running all out. Now I will give my limits. Bow…Deer must be within 20 and standing still broadside or quartering slightly away. I shoot a tight group out to 40 at the range but a tree stand isn’t a range…Muzzleloader (side lock)…50 offhand 100 with a good rest…Muzzleloader( inline with 3x9 scope)…50 offhand 150 with a good rest…no running shots at all with a muzzleloader unless it is point blank with iron sights point blank=under 20. Walking shots out to 50 are ok….Shotgun is the same as the muzzleloader but I will take running shots out to 30 with open sights. Now im not saying that everyone has the same ranges as me but every one has one and it isn’t the same in every situation. A standing deer in the open at 20 is a lot different from a walking deer in brush at 20. Shooting a deer at 100 yards standing up is allot different from shooting with a rest out of a treestand sitting down . I missed deer plenty of times earley in my hunting career mostly because I didn’t know my limits.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I could add to that and say that every one of those misses by those fools could have been one of us. That's why I hunt prefer to hunt deer several miles back in the GW Forest farther south of here or on private land. Some of these public "hunting" areas are nothing more than a shooting gallery, unfortunately.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thats typical public land.......a free for all attitude. There is alot of good public hunting.....the problem is you just never know who is going to be hunting next to you......or on top of you.

Mark

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Sounds close to my personl ranges, I'll stretch each a few beyond yours, but not much more. Sounds like where I was opening day of SG last year. LOTS of shooting and few der to show for it.

Remember the golden rule: "Make the first shot count 'cause the second ain't gonna be for s___."

People talk about shooting groups. WHO CARES. I read an article in outdoor life MANY years ago that talked about range shooting that basically said that if you think your scope is sighted in you judge everything by the first steady squeezed off shot, because that's what you're gonna get in the woods.

Load you're weapon, fire 3 shots (Or however many you normally shoot for a group) and see where the first one hits. That's the crticial one. The others are just to see if you can do it again for consistancy. That's what makes us good.

ESPECIALLY important when bow hunting. Sitting in that stand all stiff and cold you don't get to warm up you muscles by shooting 3-4 groups. When you walk out of your house and you release you first arrow, where does it hit? That's the one you have to question when that deer walks in.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's like the old man said; " it's not the gun son, it's the man behind it. If your'e not looking down the gun barrel you'll never hit anything." Sounds like winchester and federals stock rose signifacantly on Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Post,
BILL

·
Registered
905 Posts
First of all, you got bigger kahoonas than I for hunting public land, I did it once and will never do it again, you hit the nail on the head with the rest of the post, I have noticed with age, my range has gotten shorter and shot groups not as tight , hey it comes with the territory.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Safety is a big concern with me as well, I walk in either well before light or after nine when the sun is good and up. I also have a pen light on the bill of my hat and a small light in hand while walking in low light. I climb a tree and stay until I am ready to go home or shoot a deer. I saw five deer that day all within 75 yards but the area I hunt is thick this time of year and I never got a shot. Two of them were walking and three were running.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yup. Unfortunately there are people in this world that do not understand basic concepts of hunting. If you want to shoot your gun go to the gun range. Another problem is the amount of people that hunt without ever sighting in there weapon. Good post. I know exactly what you mean.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You can't wear enough blaze orange in a place like that. If you hunt on the ground on public land, you might as well have crosshairs on your back........
I heard of a man who was shot in the stomach by muzzleloader hunter.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Christ, I'm planning on heading back to one of the WMAs here in VA for fall gobbler, dove and woodcock, but it'll be on Monday morning. Even though that's opening day for fall gobbler here in VA, I hope there aren't too many idiots out and about, and worse, armed with shotguns.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.