Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yikes! Planned on taking some friends on a nice cruise up the Potomac to Chain Bridge and back. Ended up taking a leisurely cruise from the ramp at Gravely Point to the end of the dock where we were gently rocked by the wakes of boats that could actually move under their own power.

Having been given a lemon we made lemonade, drinking beer, munching, and talking for about 3 hours.

So, does anyone know a quick local source for a new, used, or rebuilt starter, or someone who could take a look at mine and maybe rebuild it?

Or the name and number of a competent and user-friendly Merc mechanic in the Silver Spring area.

Times's awasting!

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I replaced the starter on our 125 Merc this summer, only to find out that it was just that the lube had gummed up. It would spin, but it wouldn't "jump up." We got the part off eBay for about $100 delivered, and it took about 15 minutes to swap out. When we got the new one, we realized that the shaft was just sticky on the old one. A few shots of lube and it became our spare.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
We also found that a love tap with a hammer right on the sticker that says "don't hit with a hammer" would work temporarily.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
No info? If the drive pinion is stuck (not engaging flywheel) a shot of lube will get it going. You can spin the gear with your finger to work the lube in. If the starter is trying to spin it could be a bad connection or time for new brushes. Starter brushes are easy to replace. Use two long pieces of electrical tape to keep the brushes under control when installing the starter bottom cap. The tape can be pulled out just before the bottom cap seats.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Assuming thayt you have narrowed the problem to the starter itself. & eliminated all other possibilities, such as bad conections,weak battery, etc.
Most outboard starter failures are due to Bad brushes,,as Bob H indicated , they are easy & cheep to replace, & not hard for someone who is familiar with simple hand tools,
most "rebuilt" starters have been dissambled, cleaned,brushes & possibly bearings replaced, painted & re-assembled--much cheaper to do it yourself.

also the warning on the side of the starters "do not strike with hard object " is there because a starter motor contains Permanent ceramic magnets that are Epoxied to the case. & even though hitting the starter may get you going again, you risk breaking the magnets or dislodging them from the housing

if you don't want to tackle it yourself
there are plenty of places to get a replacement starter, your local Merc dealer can supply them or there are many online dealers
here is one but there are plenty more

Electrical Parts Depot - Power Shopping Cart

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Started out with a fresh (new) battery, it would barely crank. (note: the last trip or two it was slow to crank but ran fine once started. Full power, no smoke, etc). Tried jumping from two other boats, tried another fresh battery. Pretty sure it's not the battery.

But I have tried and screwed up enough boat and car repairs that I am leery about jumping into a project I am not comfortable doing...

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
475 Posts
Fairwinds Marina on the Magothy works on Force engines. Very few in this region work on that engine. They're fast, too.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Normal procedure:

Observe problem.
Diagnose problem on own.
Order parts.
Receive parts and: does not fix problem, or cannot install part and have to call professional.
Send boat to mechanic.

This time:

Observe problem.
Read shop manual.
Follow trouble-shooting guide.
Inspect engine.
find Starter bracket is loose and not making contact.
Tighten bolt.
Start engine.

Yeee-haw!

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Nice it was a simple fix.Thanks for posting what was wrong- I'll file it away in case I have starter problems or need to help someone at the ramp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts