Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eminent Brorthere,
I've had a love/hate relationship with my 2001 Ford Powerstroke Excursion. Love it because it's a beast, hate it because of all the $$$$$ I've had to spend to keep it on the road. Well Monday at 4:30 am I geezed out at the Rt 2 & Rt 4 intersection on my way to Solomons Island. Drove across both travel lanes, over the island and up a 12' road embankment. Lucky I didn't hurt anyone else or hot a utility pole!!! I have a sprained neck requiring pain pills and muscle relaxers, but I'll live. Doesn't look too good for my X though because my insurance company told me to take out all my possessions and take the licence plates. They are towing it to a secure location to do an aprasial, but from my description of the damages the claims agent said he's pretty sure it will be too expensive to fix. So I'm waiting for the final word on the X which won't come before Monday. Depending on what they give me in the way of a settlement check, I'm thinking about a used Chevy Avalanche and nothing FORD or diesel !!!!!

·
Registered
611 Posts
It's just a truck, they make more. Good thing you weren't hurt. And good thing you weren't towing the boat. You weren't towing the boat, were you?

·
Premium Member
26,249 Posts
I went through there at 5:00 am and saw the skid marks you left - right impressive , the ones the truck left were nothing compared to yours :whistlingatu:.

Seriously - glad you more / less walked away , shame if they total it - book value on a good 2001 truck will not be anything what it is really worth.

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
Glad to hear you are alright. I was at the boat with Pete when you called. I had just gone through that intersection earlier. I found myself nodding as well after 2 hours of driving...Don

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Glad you are ok old gray one

this may be a sign.....there' nice advertisement for a Chevy HD right next to your post....

TIGHT LNIES!!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Damn. Sux about the SUBeast, but glad you're okay GB.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Been there many times. Get so excited to fish that I can't sleep the night before a trip. Glad you are alive.
BTW, love my Avalanche.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Trucks can be replaced....it's only money after all...Glad you're OK.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
579 Posts
When I was 16 I had an accident messing around with my new "8 track player" and rear ended a car with two people in it. My Dad showed up a few minutes later and I was all upset talking about the car damage. He grabbed me by the shirt and shook me, and asked me if everyone was OK. The two people in the other car were OK but a little sore. He told me "a car is just a piece of metal that can be replaced and my first thought should have been about the other people in the accident and not the Dam car". That was 39 years ago and I never forgot it. Even gave my son the same speech when he was rear ended his first week of driving. Be glad you are OK and no one else was hurt. Boats and Trucks can be replaced. Lives Can't.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad you arr ok, and I hope you get a reasonable amount for your truck. The Avalanche is a great all around vehicle. It tows, drop the mid-gate and you have an 8 ft bed, and cleans up well for a night on the town. The only problem is that pesky gas milage. Not towing I get a whopping 16-18 mi per gal, and between 12-14 while towing. But I wouldn't trade it for the world!

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Holly smokes! Glad you're ok, relatively speaking. Sorry about your truck, but that's small potatoes in the larger scheme....sounds like, other than the truck, this turned out about as well as it could have.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
sorry to hear of your "adventure"
glad you weren't seriously hurt and no one else was involved.

good luck with the insurance co.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I know that intersection well. Those long hauls to Solomons can sneak up on you. Glad to hear that you are not banged up too bad, but sorry to hear about the truck.

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Eminent Brothers
My sprained neck is on the mend helped by some pain killers and muscle relaxers. Needless to say My Lovely Bride was less then pleased when I woke her up at 4:45 to tell her I crashed on my way to a fishing trip. She said it was just punishment because I was being sneaky. Seems she was still PO'ed because I didn't tell her I was going fishing on Monday morning until Sunday evening. But when she thought I may have injured myself she forgave my transgression and just lectured me on various subjects. The insurance company called 3 times today and they won't know anything until Tuesday evening. I looked at a used Avalanche at CarMax and it's just not as nice a my X. I'm rolling a rental Tahoe and it looks the same inside and most likely drives the same. But the one I'm driving only has a 5000# tow rating. I think the Avalanche goes up tp 7800#. I looked at a 4 door Nissan Titan because they have a pretty good rebate deal going. But I'd have to add a locking bed cover for it to work for me.

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Eminent Brother Terpie:
Like I said I have/had a Love/HATE relationship with my Excursion. It is a BEAST and it's got a nice comfortable interior with lots of room. It can tow my boat with no problem and go down the Interstate loaded with our 7 family members and all the stuff for 7 family members to go on our annual Florida vacation and ride better then if I was driving it alone. But it is a FORD and I had to put a lot of $$$$$ into it to keep it on the road. Had to replace the transmission, turbo, fuel lines, 3 injectors, auto-locking hubs and 3 warped brake rotors. Also the backup alarm stopped working, 2 of the automatic door locks had to be replaced and the exhust rusted through at one of the bends. Not to mention it's hard to work on. But the Chevy Tahoe I'm renting is OK, but; it's not in the same ballpark as my X and not having the X in the driveway. I'm going small block flex-fuel V-8 this time.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I'm knocking on wood cuz my 7.3 and its trans is original at 230k miles. Did have the CPS update done and had a wiring harness replaced on port side of engine where it goes under the valve cover when I developed what I thought was a injector problem...turned out 2 b a $200 wiring harness. I have no complaints. The original owner replaced my auto hubs w/manuals and I put a set of high end drilled and slotted rotors on her when I changed the front brakes and have had no issues in that area. My power door locks don't work and haven't 4 yrs. A slight PITA but I live w/it. For most going to gasser makes sense but I do quite a bit of long distance towing and nothing can beat the diesel for that. U're rite about family trips, we take it on all of ours so my wife has room for the kitchen and bathroom sinks.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Sounds like you were very lucky that you were not seriously injured with the plus that no one else was either. Sorry about your truck, but as others said -- It's just a truck. Who knows, maybe you'll find another one with less problems that somebody is looking to part with because of the high Diesel prices. Get well and get back on the water soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts