Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out there in that "situation" today when some boats got bottom side up in Southern Maryland. Real strange things going on before the wind let loose......
Long story short, make sure you guys are ready for the worst.....don't put all of your "mental" energy into bait, "softlay", and what we got for lunch.............
THE most important thing is getting home:yes:

Tony

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Glad no one lost a life!

They had St Marys and Calverts finest on the job!

·
Registered
503 Posts
got that right! there is nothing out there worth your life or your passengers. hey tony you out there cranking that new toy up to see what that suz will do?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got that right! there is nothing out there worth your life or your passengers. hey tony you out there cranking that new toy up to see what that suz will do?
:D

I'm being easy, I've finished the first two hours of break in so I can start to let her go a little now. I'll tell you, that thing will get up and GO:eek: It's got a 13 1/8x19 SS prop.....and Suzuki has that gearing......I'm happy:))

Yesterday was crazy.....calm flat, warm, beautiful.........went to hell in a handbasket!

Tony

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
Only saw a short piece on the news. They sensationalized it for a story by reporting that X number of boats were overturned, and Y number of people were thrown into the water. Under their breath, they concluded by saying it was a "sailing school".

I suspect everyone survived because they were wearing PFD's.......probably required by the school.....and enough others were looking after them to pluck 'em from the drink before cold water affected them.

:boat:

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only saw a short piece on the news. They sensationalized it for a story by reporting that X number of boats were overturned, and Y number of people were thrown into the water. Under their breath, they concluded by saying it was a "sailing school".

I suspect everyone survived because they were wearing PFD's.......probably required by the school.....and enough others were looking after them to pluck 'em from the drink before cold water affected them.

:boat:
I was on the Potomac and it's a WHOLE lot bigger than the PAX.....and yes the media sensationalized the news as they ALWAYS do.....If it was a great thing it wouldn't really be news now would it.......

Thank God the kids had PFD's on.....the last one that jumped off the Gov Johnson Bridge wasn't found for at least 2 weeks.

I was on the Potomac and saw 2 other boats out there all day.....2.........when I went out it was 76 degrees and the water was flat as glass and the wind was minimal.........I saw something down on the Va side by PL that attractacted my attention.....I told the wife we should start making our way back. As we got into the mouth of the Wicomico....ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE...all at once 30+ winds, coming from the north.......whitecaps etc.......I was looking for a damn funnel cloud:sweatdrop: If there had been more people out there on the water in Southern Maryland........more people would've ended up in the water than just the sailing school. IMO

The moral to my story is for others to not forget the inherent dangers involved with the activities we love......take ALL the precautions afforded us to prevent a tragedy. That's all, I'm done:soapbox:

Tony:))

·
Registered
500 Posts
I was on the Potomac and it's a WHOLE lot bigger than the PAX.....and yes the media sensationalized the news as they ALWAYS do.....If it was a great thing it wouldn't really be news now would it.......

Thank God the kids had PFD's on.....the last one that jumped off the Gov Johnson Bridge wasn't found for at least 2 weeks.

I was on the Potomac and saw 2 other boats out there all day.....2.........when I went out it was 76 degrees and the water was flat as glass and the wind was minimal.........I saw something down on the Va side by PL that attractacted my attention.....I told the wife we should start making our way back. As we got into the mouth of the Wicomico....ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE...all at once 30+ winds, coming from the north.......whitecaps etc.......I was looking for a damn funnel cloud:sweatdrop: If there had been more people out there on the water in Southern Maryland........more people would've ended up in the water than just the sailing school. IMO

The moral to my story is for others to not forget the inherent dangers involved with the activities we love......take ALL the precautions afforded us to prevent a tragedy. That's all, I'm done:soapbox:

Tony:))
Tony, I was stuck in a meeting in Loveville that day. I walked out of the building at 2pm and thought how wrong it was to have to work on a day that would be better spent on the water. 2 hours later I was cussin' the weather. I know that part of the Potomac, if you didn't have experience, we'd probably have been hearing about you in the news. If this past Thursday had been this Saturday, I'm afraid alot of part time boat operators would have kept the CG, NRP and local FD personnel way too busy. Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts