"Hey, let's go check out that wreck....wait a minute...what the $&#^%)#???"

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
"uh, how the hell are we geting back?"

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Hard to send out a mayday from the ocean floor! Glad other boats were apparently around!

·
Premium Member
26,288 Posts
Most dives last less then one hour that means their boat sank very quickly.
Never heard of everyone going in at the same time and leaving a boat unmanned. That makes no sense.If the current carried all the divers away from the boat - which happens alot - no one is onboard to come get them.We dive off Ocean City but take turns- always having two divers in the water and at least two on the boat.

Too much can go wrong leaving no one on the boat - just the anchor pulling could be a disaster.Bet they will not do that again :eek:.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The Eagle is a deep dive too with a depth of 120 to the sand. Usually no anchoring there it has 4 mooring balls to tie to. the Currents aren't as bad there but not a good idea to not have anyone on the boat, not saying I haven't but I didn't pass my boat heading for a deco stop either. There have been a few stories similar to this. The worst was at Molasses reef, 14 people ages 3-72 when the boat slipped under. It was only in 20 ft. but the damage to reef and the fuel spilled was bad especially since it was in a SPA (Sanctuary Preservation Area).
Mike

·
Registered
14,556 Posts
I have never heard of a dive crew leaving a boat unmanned.......not a good idea for many reasons. Seeing YOUR boat during a dive is like seeing YOUR boat and trailer passing YOUR vehicle!........Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts