Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
Just wait.

Heard more nets were found.

For some reason - in Maryland - poachers are often given very light sentences or fines that are nothing more then a 5 percent tax.
Some poachers have 20 or more convictions on their record - some rack up that in 4-5 years.

It sucks - hoping it changes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
why is it that people argue that biologists and scientists that are doing studies dont know what they are doing and blame the watermen. i have read countless times that quote" we have to feed our families doing this..." well no you dont, get a differant job, my dad is a bricklayer and i'm not! i am a steamfitter and i dont steall my material! that is exactly what the poachers are doing! they are stealing thier product and then selling it! this has to end i would love to fish for a living but i dont get too i work all week and fish when i can just like all the other rec anglers out there. if there is no money in it doing things legal then get out and find a job!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
why is it that people argue that biologists and scientists that are doing studies dont know what they are doing and blame the watermen. i have read countless times that quote" we have to feed our families doing this..." well no you dont, get a differant job, my dad is a bricklayer and i'm not! i am a steamfitter and i dont steall my material! that is exactly what the poachers are doing! they are stealing thier product and then selling it! this has to end i would love to fish for a living but i dont get too i work all week and fish when i can just like all the other rec anglers out there. if there is no money in it doing things legal then get out and find a job!!!!!!!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
At least all the illegal fish seized count against the commercial quota for the period....as it should. These criminals are not only illegally stealing from the fishery but when caught they are illegally exhausting the quota and are stealing right out of the pocket of the decent and legal comm fisherman who are trying to make a living fair and square. They screw the fishery, recs and comms alike.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
This really is sad. I would have not expected to see so many big rockfish in Maryland waters this time of year. Have they been there all winter? Or did they migrate out and are just now migrating back? I know the schoolies don't migrate until they get a certain age but some of those rocks in the pics look pretty big. I would have thought they would have all headed south or did they just winter over in Maryland.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Why are anchored gill nets legal here in virginia? Sounds like it would have been a legal net if in Virginia waters and marked. Seems that NC and Virginia are way behind in fisheries management. Anyone with more info on this?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Let's do the math. Assuming 15lbs avg wgt per fish for 10 tons thats roughly 1300 fish divided by 2 fish limit (forget the slot fish argument), 660 potential legal outings may have been prevented by just this bust. I don't think there even that many fish caught by rec fisherman in VA waters this season. (NC doesn't count in this computation) that is the crime! Blame the reduction in striper population on the overfishing by Rec fishermen..yeah right! I know.... have another one... but by my "rum" math, just another reason we can't find fish on regular basis anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts