Tidal Fish Forum banner

This Is The Type of Media Reports that BURN my A$$

Good Information 
2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  capt.george 
#1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

December 28, 2010, 1:51 pm More Blue Crabs, but Chesapeake Bay Is Still at Risk, Report Says
By LESLIE KAUFMAN

Associated Press

A group of volunteers washed and bagged oyster shells as part of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation oyster restoration program in Gloucester Point, Va.The blue crab population is growing again in Chesapeake Bay, but the 64,000 square-mile system of bays, marshes and rivers remains imperiled, according to a report [pdf] released Tuesday by the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.

The foundation is a nonprofit advocacy organization that measures the health of this complex system, the largest estuary in the United States.

The foundation said that since the release of its 2008 State of the Bay report, which rates the health of the area based on 12 categories dealing with pollution, habitat and fishing, the ecosystem has rebounded slightly, earning 31 points out of 100, or three more than in 2008.

Among the improvements are increases in the plenitude of underwater grasses and in the forested buffers along the watershed, the report said.

The blue crab population, which is so crucial to the local economy, has also doubled from a low of 120 million to more than 300 million, the report found. The increase was largely a result of the fact that two states bordering the bay, Virginia and Maryland, agreed to limit their catch of female crabs.

As encouraging as these improvements are, however, said Will Baker, the foundation's president, "The gains are fragile."

A score of 31 out of 100 is still a very low, he said, noting that unchecked sprawling development is still damaging habitat and introducing pollution into the area. There is still so much pollution from runoff that residents are encouraged not to swim in the bay for 48 hours after a heavy rain.

Among the problems that are not improving are the amount of nitrogen and phosphorous runoff into the bay and the population of the striped bass fisheries. Moreover, the foundation warned, the bay could be threatened by new efforts to drill for natural gas in the Marcellus Shale formation - an enormous underground find lying beneath parts of New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia.

"Activity in the Marcellus Shale increased dramatically beginning in 2009 and is continuing to accelerate," the report said.

The foundation said it was concerned that extracting natural gas through a process called fracking - a process of injecting chemicals and fluids at high pressure into rock thousands of feet below the surface - could be damaging ground water in the area further. The federal Environmental Protection Agency is studying the issue.

****** This N.Y. Times Article written & Passed on by the Assoicated Press for the WORLD to Read , Paints a picture that the Chesapeake Bay is a CESSPOOL --

---"As encouraging as these improvements are, however, said Will Baker, the foundation's president, "The gains are fragile."
---------Damm I didn't know it was Money Request Time Already Will!!!

--"Among the problems that are not improving are the amount of nitrogen and phosphorous runoff into the bay and the population of the striped bass fisheries"-----

--Thanks for Kick in the A$$ to the ones of us that KNOW BETTER, as to the Condition of the stroped bass fishery, why is it that Inviromental Groups always get Involved in Fishery Matters, This in my case dates back to the 80's -90's , when as MCBA Pres. I was Challenged , by my Friend Bill Goldsburo(spelling )--at every corner on limit Issues before the Legislature-We had provided a RECOVERED Fishery after 5years of -NO Fishing -No Harrasment -Morortorium that Md.-Del. Prf-Had SUFFERED ALONE--Now were being Undermind by our OWN Maryland Chesapeake Bay Foundation.

---" There is still so much pollution from runoff that residents are encouraged not to swim in the bay for 48 hours after a heavy rain"

---Seems to me We just Experianced a Drought , this year where Rainfall , was so little , that sanility levels moved the Blue Crab Population North & Catches of Ocean fish were a Common Occurance -Even Dolphin sightings were everwhere -We , I Felt were Blessed with Very Few Gully Washers -I guess it depends on your Overall Position & Goals , in this life --Nuff Said --geo.

See less See more
#3 ·
if you think we had a drought you are sadly mistaken. Look at the avg vs. total rainfall. if anything we are above normal for last year. Also we had most of our rain in the form of "gully washers. As a side note I repeat..please change your typing style , not hard to do and would make your posts which aften contain good information much more enjoyable/ readable. A score of 100 would be impossible because it would mean a 1600's society.

#6 ·
--Fisheyed, Appriciate your comments , But I BEG to differ, Here in the Mid Bay of Md. , Deale to be Exact we had a Drought --As To my Typing style & spelling , I never took typing in School , in the Fiftys typing was Considered a Girls Subject , & Agriculture was the Pushed Course --I was SELF taught on the Computer with "Computers For Dummies" & I Hunt & Peck , This combined with the use of 3.50 Strenth Dollar store Glasses add to my mistakes --All of my spelling in Done with Phonics --W/O a Spell check --But I do know how to fish a 23 Tony -geo.

#9 ·
Am sure fisheyes data is right, but during "growing season" darn sure was way dry in Mid Delmarva.............important times for excessive rainfall to leach nutrients from farms is March thru July, most nutrients go down then. Runoff from municipal sources happens 24/7/365.

Most of MD anyway was well below normal for rainfall in those months.

Don't change a thing Captain, I like your style - can't wait to chat u up on VHF out there some day after rounding Castle Haven point.

#8 ·
NAW , Just Frothing at the Bit , Waiting for a Answer on this Question i Asked you on anothe Bay Related Issue --

-- I should have asked this Question in a Diffrent Language
Sorry Comm. Mc Guire , I shouda , Asked WHEN are the Proposed Changes To the Already Passed Bill going to be Heard -

Comments on Proposed Maryland Pleasure Boat Decal:----$50.00
----"The Department may provide by regulation for issuance of an annual special Chesapeake Bay and coastal sport fishing license Chesapeake Bay and coastal sport fishing license, which when permanently affixed to a boat registered in any state shall authorize any person on the boat to fish for finfish in the Chesapeake Bay or in its tributaries up to tidal boundaries or in State waters of the Atlantic Ocean and the Atlantic coastal bays and tributaries, except that such a license may not be used on a boat that has been hired to take such persons fishing. (ii) The annual fee for this special license shall be $50

#12 ·
George don't get so riled about the typing thing. I can't spell either and I hunt and peck but the use of -- is much less effective then a period and space bar. If it helps just type like writing a letter.

I live close to deale and in june we had a dry spell followed by a deluge similar in july. Look at the graphs. no I can't find the link I just go from notes and memory ( i try to follow it).

Yes I can troll a 23 tony in just about any config as well as a bucktail with pork rind. If you want I'll drag a ragmop but hey those new fangled BKD's and parachutes seem pretty effective.

In regards to trout candy the prob will prob. continue to get worse. Particularly with BRAC and lower housing prices on the western shore. Hopefully the developers of the updated waste treatment facilities compensated for this ( yea right, and the smell in north beach has always just been "the marsh")
I agree the gains are fragile but hopefully we can take the knowledege we now know and apply it usefully. It seems in the past there was a total disregard for clean water so these new improvements will help although they will take time.

#14 ·
Major reason for comeback was elimination of dedging of sponge crabs at the mouth of the Bay and reduction in numbers of females taken by comms during the early Fall migration period. If Omega had never started sucking up menhaden by the millions annually, rockfish would have been far healthier as would the Bay in general. When their primary food supply is severely reduced, it creates a major imbalance and they eat a lot of small crabs.

#15 · (Edited)
Fisheyed,I'm Trying, But sometimes my Mind oversees my finger,As to" trout candy ", i'm speaking about that fingerling & larger trout that gets comsumed by the rock population , as well as crabs during the Moult. I in no way was questioning your fishing skills & i won't make a issue of saying deale should start with a Capital D --No i'm just infureaited that after Years & Years of .talk & no walk , & the Deadline was met with in some reports a D+!! I know some of it is caused by the Budget's Robbing the Federal Money for transfer to Maryland General Funds , But Some Improvement should be Seen! Oh Well This & Fishing Too-geo..

#18 · (Edited)
They change location of Info

Data downloaded from http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/marfc/Maps/precip.html

---Hope this Works, looks like we had a little Drought Conditions --P.S.Guess not, the Original was for Md. Rainfall only , Now they moved it & its to much for me to Grasp--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.