Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Nice fish, I may have spoke to soon when I agreed that Elvis has left the building. There was a nice school around 8 and 8A when we were coming back in the river this evening. Had our limit in the box so we ran right over them, you better get them before I find a way out there Jenna.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Nice Fish

and a short run too ! What are the tides like right now - I hear the water is very low in and around Gwynn's and the Piankatank - trolling or jigging ? I am plannijg to go out Saturday safternoon and Sunday am and need to be efficient and have not put the boat in since October.

·
Registered
65 Posts
fished in a bit from there today (near 1P, off of stingray in 30 ft of water) and didn't have a bite. were you marking a lot of bait/fish?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Change Sides Of The River

Ken - and fish that drop off at Windmill - 15 - 35 feet the bait is usually there at the tip of the bar and stripers on the bait. if not there, head to the cut channel and follow it north - I fished out of Deltaville for 6 years and once you make this run you can usually find some. I never caught them at the Stingray drop off other than spanish mackerel in the summer and rock around the spider buoy that has now been removed. my two cents

·
Registered
65 Posts
Feeshon Aboard the Jezebel II: if they are at 1R where Silvio caught that one, why would they not be at 1P? Similar depth, closer to a major drop off, and closer to the mouths of two rivers. I figure at 1R they are coming north and south, but I would assume (but admittedly did not even get a bite) that 1P would have fish coming/going from the rivers and would attract some bait/fish as the drop off from the shallows is right there. I will try elsewhere. Tried south of GI (b/w H.I.W. and Wolftrap) yesterday and didn't even find good marks. Tomorrow should be too rough for my boat (19 footer) but will try again Friday either in Rapp (which is a long run for a small boat on GI) or 1R.

Let me know if you have any other advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was trolling from 2r to 1r, about to call it a day. Tons of birds towards I guess 59a, which would be south of 1r out a ways. Thats where they were

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My Two Cents Continued

I'm just telling you what I have found - I have never consistently found the bait on Stingray drop off. South towards 41 A along the drop off that runs to the Hole In The Wall and north drop off on Windmill the bait seems to normally hang out more, that's been my experience. It does not mean I am right on one day or any given day,but merely more days than not. I fish where I am confident I will find fish and work hard to make it happen - get some spots where you feel you know and have caught fish and work them hard until the tide is ripping and you know them well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts