Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this across the wire. I guess this should save some fish this year...or does it really?

Brandon

PUBLIC NOTICE
MARYLAND DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES FISHERIES SERVICE COMMERCIAL STRIPED BASS FEBRUARY 2007 SEASON MODIFICATION

The Secretary of Maryland Department of Natural Resources pursuant to Code of Maryland Regulation 08.02.15.12(H) has announced a modification to the catch limit for the commercial striped bass fishery in the month of February, 2007. Effective at 3:00 am Friday, February 23, 2007, the individual catch limit of 500 pounds per day will be rescinded and replaced with a total weekly catch limit of 2,500 pounds per licensee. For purposes of this catch limit modification, the week beginning Monday, February 19 will end at 12:00 pm on Saturday, February 24. The following week will start on Sunday, February 25 and end at 12:00 pm midnight on Wednesday, February 28. All other current regulations remain in effect.

Fishermen are reminded that the days of Saturday, February 24 and Sunday, February 25 are open to the taking of striped bass by gill net (COMAR 08.02.15.07). The Chesapeake Bay Striped Bass Gill Net Season ends February 28, 2007 and will reopen December 1, 2007. The Secretary may, by public notice, close the season if the quota is projected to be caught by a certain date.

John R. Griffin
Secretary
Maryland Department of Natural Resources

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think not. Makes it a lot easier to work a M-F job and catch their limit on Saturday. There is more effort, time, and money require for daily limits. Here's an idea; don't issue any 'NEW' gill net license and we could all work together to retire current licenses.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
i don't think it will save any fish either.

so now the comm guys can catch a week's worth of daily allotments in one day????????:confused:

i want to use the same type of creel limit when i go out, too.

that way i can fish one day a week and keep 14 fish, right????:nono:

how stupid is that?:wacko:

i guess the new administration is starting to show its hand early:sweatdrop: :devil2:

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Just got this across the wire. I guess this should save some fish this year...or does it really?

Brandon

PUBLIC NOTICE
MARYLAND DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES FISHERIES SERVICE COMMERCIAL STRIPED BASS FEBRUARY 2007 SEASON MODIFICATION

The following week will start on Sunday, February 25 and end at 12:00 pm midnight on Wednesday, February 28. All other current regulations remain in effect.

John R. Griffin
Secretary
Maryland Department of Natural Resources
I got some FUZZY math....but that's only 4 days....4 x 500lbs= 2000 lbs....but now they can get 2500lbs....You can work the math both ways, in either case they are just pi$$ing on a volcano!! :censored:

·
Banned
90 Posts
Boy are you guys paranoid.

If the Secretary did not changed the reg to 2500 lbs total, this week could have been a 3500 lb week for the gill netters because of the comar reg that says they can set nets on Saturday and Sunday the last weekend in February.

"Except for the last Saturday and Sunday of the month of February, a drift gill net may not be set on Saturday or Sunday."

Came from Comar 08.02.15.07

Plus they still have 427000lbs left from their quota.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries/commercial/harvestmonitoring.html

Thank You Mr. Secretary...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hey folks.. forget about the fish take, we are in a ENERY Crisis and not everything is about make more money.

This will allow for those to burn less fuel, which in effect adds less pollution and conserves energy. It might also allow some to spend more time with their family and friends.

Some of you will say I'm being naive but if you look at it from a effiency of working, it's not a bad thing. If I had to guess, I'd think everyone would want more efficiencies for their line of work for more free time. Don't you ever wish you could get your work done in 2 or 3 days versus 5 so you can spend more time with your friends and family?

Let's just hope it's not abused.

- Dae

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Same ol' story. Allow the Comms to take what they want and the Recs gets screwed. If the Comms they can't make a living on the existing quota and existing days - maybe they should start looking for another job. But instead, they will just allow them continue to rape the resource until there is nothing left then blame it on pollution, rec limits, the econony, etc.

I guess using their same logic...since I have to work Mon-Fri, I should be able to keep a total of 14 fish when I fish on Sat and Sunday. (normally 2 per day x 7 days)

It's time to make Stipped Bass a GAMEFISH!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Excuse me officer, I didn't fish yesterday. I'm only fishing today, that is why I have 2500#. I promise I won't fish the rest of the week. Heheheheheh. Excuse me officer, that wasn't me yesterday, that was my partner thats why I have 2500# today. I promise not to fish the rest of the week.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Excuse me officer, I didn't fish yesterday. I'm only fishing today, that is why I have 2500#. I promise I won't fish the rest of the week. Heheheheheh. Excuse me officer, that wasn't me yesterday, that was my partner thats why I have 2500# today. I promise not to fish the rest of the week.
Ummm, unless the fish are being sold under the table, which can be done regardless of the 500lbs/day or 2500lbs total, the argument doesn't hold water because all the fish need to be tagged for sale; unless they changed the law.

Maybe, I'm still being naive, but I don't see abuse from law biding citizens. I figure if someone was going to cheat now, they would have cheated with the old rule. In fact, you could make the case that the 500lbs/day is worse being that the DNR wouldn't think twice if they saw a boat all week; where now, the DNR may get suspicious if they see a guy making large hauls day after day.

- Dae

·
Premium Member
26,270 Posts
Wonder what it would cost each rec. fisherman to buy out their quota ? I'd gladly buy a $10-20.00 rock permit.We had alot of fish near Sandy Point in July until the hook and line comm. moved in.Unreal how many fish they can catch.We saw them using a modified dummy line with about 7-8 bucktails.Every pass was about a dozen fish. Skip

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Skip,

If your talking about buying out their Rockfish quota (basically making giving them game fish status), I don't see how it would work because you would have to pay ever year or buy them as if you were buying out their business.

I think a cheaper way would be to make it so there are no new licenses with Rockfish allotments are issued. What I'm saying is no NEW allotments for Rockfish or if a license is passed to a different party, the license looses it's Rockfish allotment. This way, current Commercials that take Stripers aren't affected, but new comers are and are aware of it. This also fixes the issue of paying someone to stay home. Only problem is that it might take a generation for Stipers to get defacto Gamefish status.

- Dae

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
There are more and more charter captains that are hook and line fishing in the summer taking there 500 hundred pounds on the comm. hook and line side and charging for a charter so it is not just the netters that are raping the bay thats why dec. gill net was closed this year because comm. hook and liners caught over there quota. and it had to come from somewhere

Ask most charter captians how many trips they make a day during trophy season and its not just one

Most netters in the upper bay this year did not fish because when they started they didnt catch enough to break even the fish wern't around the warm water had them spread out and then the ice showed up and locked up the rivers for most of feb.

so we as fisherman all need to make a sacrifice to have a fishery for along time to come

·
Registered
552 Posts
No one should be selling fish from the Bay.
It's time to start phasing it out.

Want to run a charter boat or a head boat…. That’s fine.
The fishermen can catch their limits. But no one sells their catch.

Just think what a wonderful place the Bay and rivers would be for ordinary folks to fish if there were no commercials out there netting up the fish and selling them for next to nothing.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.