Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first year I am “unofficially winterizing” my boat.

In years past, I never even put a cover on it, I sort of used it all winter on the random warm days.

However, (with the recent cold temps, the drop in water temps, and the skunk the past few times out), I think I’m packing it up for the season.

I have heard that a cover will cause mildew/mold on everything.

Any suggestions on what to do, & how to do the whole process:

Gas?
Storage compartments?
Ropes?
Life Jackets?
Anything I’m forgetting?

The term “unofficial winterizing” means I’m putting her up until an arbitrary warm up comes in the middle of winter and I rip the cover off and take her for a spin.

What do you guys do to gettem’ through the winter months?
:fishing2:

·
Registered
631 Posts
I just keep fishing. hot ditch is good all winter and the stripers are biting SOMEWHERE!! dont wimp out get out and fish!! I'm in E.C. where you at?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I never had a problem with mildew after covering as long as you uncover next year.:D

might want to hang the life preservers in your garage or someplace.

btw,reports on striper 247 are that the rock are at bulls bay but I haven't personally been there and done that

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would just go out every 30-40 days, when warm enough. And hook up the hose w/ ear muffs on the engine and start it up. Let it run for 20-30 minutes. Keep the tank full.
This was/is on my 175 yamaha outboard. And this is in tha Va. Mountains.
Now boat is in Hatteras, and I can't get down to it.
Might have to find someone to take it for a ride to warm it up

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not sure what kind of boat you have, but may want to put the BIO Degradable antifreeze in the fishwells and to fill all the drain lines especially if they will be holding any water. You may want fog the engine and use gas stabilizer in the tank. Covering it may result in some mildew, but it will clean up, definitely no more then the north facing side of the boat will accumulate. Grease up your steering and all the grease points on your engine. Run your engine with stabilizer in the tank to make sure you get the stabilizer in the carbs/fuel lines.

Just some of the things you may want to do even if you are going to let it sit for a while.

Bill

·
Registered
312 Posts
as far as the mildew goes get a bag from walmart in their RV dept they have dry bags that absorb water and keep from mildewing or west marine whatever is around you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts