Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on running 5 lines on each planer the same on each side farest out on board is a 4 arm small umbrella with 4oz chute then coming in is a 2&4 tandem then 3&5 tandem then 3&6 tandem and then 6&8 tandem. one side of boards out 50foot and other side out 60.
As for boat each corner large umbrella with 12oz chute out 50 foot. Down center of boat a daisy chain out 150 foot. and out the sides a 4oz umbrella out 75foot and other side a 6 oz umbrella out 75 foot
let me know what you think

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Those with more experience will comment; but I keep my board lines VERY light. Thia is what the boards are for, so if you are he11 bent on all tandems, I'd go with:
1 2+4
2 2+6
3 2+8
4 2+4
5 2+6

Some of us even go so far as to only run single lures on one side of the boat. I did this for several years, and sometimes they are the most active. Think about the times you run through bait flipping on the surface. You want baits running right up there with them.
Good luck
5th (Marty)

·
Registered
615 Posts
I don't know a whole lot but I think you should have your lines out farther lengthwise. Maybe put a spoon as a WWB line out like 250 feet. Just remember, the more weight the less line you want out. The less weight the more line you want out.
Its always hard to tell how well its all going to work until you really get out there. I always end up changing things after the shakedown cruise.
Good luck this season

Ryan

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I run 5 off of each board too (100' of planer each side). I run one side all solo parachutes and the other all tandem.

Solo side gets
1. 2oz
2. 3oz
3. 5oz
4. 6oz
5. 7oz

Tandem side gets
1. 2/5
2. 3/6
3. 3/7
4. 3/9
5. 6/9

I will stagger the order I put them out and vary line length (usually 40-120' behind the clip) to what I think will best cover the water column. Longest lines go close to the board. I try to follow if I get hit on the inside board or outside board on turns to see if they fish are shallower or deeper and make adjustments to the lines that go back out from there. Obviously the inside board drops the lines and the outside board raises them up. I can also make speed adjustments too.

I also run 4 umbrellas off the boat with inlines 12oz, 16oz, 20oz, and 24oz. Two umbrellas get solo parachutes behind them, two get short tandem rigs of 2/5oz with the light getting a 6" shad to match the teasers. I will substitute a 28oz for the 12oz if I am trolling in deeper water and need to get deeper. If no one is around and I dont need the best manuverability and things are slow, I will drop back a wwb out the middle. However, I like to stay tight to my marks and circle them and often times a wwb gets in the way when turning like this. The planer boards are the same premise and you dont have to reel in from as far (which is better for releasing fish healthy too).

Here are my patterns from few springs ago with a few trips worth of tracks.. You can see where I was circling the bait.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That is an excellent post. A well thought out spread and well presented with both "whats" and "whys". A valuable contribution. Thank you

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I would run my boat rods heavier and deeper and put your daisy chain further back.......as it is now the first fish you get on a board rod is gonna swing back right into your other lines and you'll have a mess.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
I thought we were only allowed to run 6 rods during spring season...?
That is my regular season spread. Preseason is one of two spreads.. I run one board at 100'.

I either run 2 solo chutes and 3 tandems off the board with one short deep umbrella along the thermacline or 2 umbrellas short and deep off the boat and 1 solo and 3 tandems

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
like to here everyones spread ,lures they use line lengths for each rod and so on this is starting to be a good post keep it going thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts