Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Tfers REM1224 ( Ralph ) and Tim met me at Sandy Point at 9:00 am. Figured we'd let it warm up a touch before heading out. Had short wind window to work - small craft posted around 2:00. Launched boat on low tide and Tim saw a license tag underwater. Was not off my trailer but he was able to get it with long handled net.

Only 5-6 other trailers in lot and only one parked like it might have used same ramp. Quick check and found who had lost it. Put it on windshield under wiper so they would find it. If you are one who lost it and are reading this - we like Bacardi Rum :yes:.

With good deed done - idled out and then ran SE towards Mattapeake. Saw three other boats trolling so we went few miles south to find vacant area. No sense crowding others and we planned around a south wind picking up later in day. Always easier to run with it back to ramp. Set up in 55 feet and worked SE to SW pattern across channel.

Tim got first fish - nice 41 + that hit a tandem off board - 6 oz Spankin' Striper redhead with white shad.

Great start so we circled area and hoped for another. About an hour and 1/2 dozen donuts later - Ralph got to reel in a nice 41 incher that hit a favorite lure. Sorry - I only share so much info. We noticed a few gannets flying around and now / then one would dive. Wind slowly picked up but nothing bad. Tim broke out subs and if you fish - you know what happened next.

Sure enough - boat road 6 / 2 tandem back 200 feet got smacked. Guys let me reel it in - smallest fish of day but at 40 3/4 - still worth a C/R citation. It hit chartreuse 2 oz Alien - battered with one eye but still catching. We had some camera troubles but luckily got proof on cell phone.

Had to laugh at depth we hooked up in.

We zig zagged along channel as wind steadily picked up pushing whitecaps and a few 3 foot rollers. We hoped to get more fish but only had one half hearted hit that muffed up parachute hair. Saw some patches of bait in 45 but all fish were caught in 55 to 80 feet. Got back to ramp about 5:00 - leaving plenty of day light to give boat a well deserved washing.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We made one long west pass into 35feet but did not see much. Best bait was in the 45 foot depth range - however no bites around it. Did see few gannets dive the bait. Concentrated on channel edge after getting first fish. Few marks out in deep 90-100 feet but no hits.

Zero jelly fish / snot - water was decent looking. No trash / leaves / grass on any lures or swivels.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Besides the wind it looked like a real nice day! That must be a super secret lure, not sure you ever not posted your lures :).

How do you like your Simrad? I just received my NSS7 Evo 2 and should be getting g the Totalscan transducer I the next couple of days. Any tips on getting the most out of the Simrad? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Great news about the fish as well as the lack of snot! Thanks for the post, and congratulations. Were you running one planer or both?

Did you stop running after seeing marks? In the "I need all the help I can find" department, I just got a through-hull transducer to get rid of interference when running, and I can't wait to use it. Thanks for the earlier tips on the through-hulls.

I would definitely send a bottle your way if you found my tag, and speaking of rum, I have a funny story (not so funny then) about getting a bottle of Antiguan rum taken away in Charlotte when we got back from the Caribbean a couple weeks back. Definitely a face to face story.

As for those battered lures, you gotta love em! The saddest part, is when you finally lose one.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Looks like the water temps came up rather nice this spring.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Good Stuff Skip...representing the SRRKC nicely

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bring em on - Hoping a soft ware update fixes the 131* reading. Works fine for about an hour or two - then jumps to max.

Klramp - I love the unit but am still learning it. If you are computer savvy - it will be easy , I'm not so it is taking time to figure everything out.
One tip for using the structure scan - go as slow as possible. I thought 3 knots gave detail but found huge difference holding into current or even just drifting with current. The east side pilings of west bound bridge from 20 feet in are cool to scan. All type of junk there - pieces of piping and such.

River Cat - This time of year I often just run to channel edge and start to troll. These fish are moving fast so no real hot spot. I do watch meter while running and will circle back if I see a lot of bait or fish.

With PSCR - I use only the port board. I can see it easily from helm seat and feel putting 4-6 lines off it presents some what of a bait school to Rockfish. Makes turning easier and no real reason to put out both boards with only 6 rods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts