Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last few trips my bilge has had some water in it. The Grady has a front and aft bilge pumps - these are set about inch high.

If I designed a boat - the pump would sit in a sump ( low spot ).

I was thinking water coming in with anchor rode - I drop / retrieve anchor often on some trips. Checked the four sea cocks when running / sitting - these were not leaking. Looking at next likely cause - thru hulls for the fish boxes.

No photo description available.

I noticed three of six had very small cracks - with one looking very bad. Replaced all six - two snapping out as nut was backed off.

New ones are stainless steel so no worries.

My Grady was built in 1997 - company switched to SS fittings around 2001. Hopefully next trip bilges stay dry.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,387 Posts
Here's a tip from an aquarist. When you put bulkheads together and tighten them, always use teflon tape so you can take them apart. In a marine environment, they will get clogged with dirt and break 99% of the time. Just make sure you don't over tighten them.

Reactions: Luv2fishCB

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Last few trips my bilge has had some water in it. The Grady has a front and aft bilge pumps - these are set about inch high.

If I designed a boat - the pump would sit in a sump ( low spot ).

I was thinking water coming in with anchor rode - I drop / retrieve anchor often on some trips. Checked the four sea cocks when running / sitting - these were not leaking. Looking at next likely cause - thru hulls for the fish boxes.

I noticed three of six had very small cracks - with one looking very bad. Replaced all six - two snapping out as nut was backed off.

New ones are stainless steel so no worries.

My Grady was built in 1997 - company switched to SS fittings around 2001. Hopefully next trip bilges stay dry.
Skip,
The water seeps through mine when I have 3 people near the back of the boat. I guess added pressure on the rubber flap on the outside. I bought 2 rubber plugs at Lowe's. They are in the hardware section pull out drawers. They come in different sizes. Easy enough to tap in and pull out
Automotive tire Food Synthetic rubber Hat Circle

Mike

·
Registered
15,397 Posts
Skip,
The water seeps through mine when I have 3 people near the back of the boat. I guess added pressure on the rubber flap on the outside. I bought 2 rubber plugs at Lowe's. They are in the hardware section pull out drawers. They come in different sizes. Easy enough to tap in and pull out
View attachment 283165

Mike
I have my two rear scuppers plugged also. With a heavy motor and two batteries in rear, water comes in. Easy enough to unplug........Gary

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Here's a tip from an aquarist. When you put bulkheads together and tighten them, always use teflon tape so you can take them apart. In a marine environment, they will get clogged with dirt and break 99% of the time. Just make sure you don't over tighten them.
My Mech Foreman in the boatyard hated teflon tape.
Turned me on to this stuff that comes in a small tube. Been using it ever since.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Skip - I'm glad you found the likely problem and were able to correct it. One of the first boats I owned was an older Boston Whaler Montauk 17. The previous owner had not cared well for that boat. I noticed some issues with the brass drain tube at the back of the boat -- it leaked water.

Tin Rectangle Cylinder Drinkware Nickel

I worked near a Boston Whaler dealer on the DC waterfront at that time. They sold me a new drain tube. Their mechanic was kind/trusting enough to loan me a special tool that I could use at home to flare the edges of the tube to make a flange after I had cut it to length to make a correct fit. I can't imagine most mechanics loaning esoteric tools to strangers, but he did. In any case, I removed the old damaged tube, inserted the new tube, cut it to length, and flared the edges back for a good fit. I owned that boat for just a few years, but when I sold it, it was in better shape than when I got it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Skip,
View attachment 283165

Mike
Yeah, that's a different issue. I just wear TITS and let the water do what it's going to do (and laugh at the guys in sneakers). The proper fix is to add flotation or raise the floor when one adds too much weight to the stern of a boat not designed for it. We swapped out the bracket on a 97 Reg (must be the year ;) ) when it was repowered with 4 strokes.

·
Premium Member
26,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dban520 - The fittings I replaced are on side on boat - at water line or slightly above.

They are drains for sinks and fish / storage boxes.

The four fittings below water line do have sea cocks. Wash down , live well , head flush , and head discharge. I keep the sea cocks closed unless using them.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Regarding the pumps, I asked the same question of Parker when I noticed my bilge pump sat on a slightly raised platform in the bilge. They told me that this is so that the pump will take out nearly all of the water, while being less likely to clog with heavy debris that sits on the bottom.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Is stainless ok to use below the waterline?
The reason I ask is because I immediately went shopping, and found the West marine site has a tip about using bronze or Marelon plastic below the waterline, however it doesn't mention stainless, although they sell plenty of it...https://www.westmarine.com/west-advisor/Brass-Bronze-and-Plastic-Fittings.html

1 - 20 of 25 Posts