Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a couple dismal years Cobia fishing, my brother Walter and I elected to change things up a little. Instead of going to one of our "normal" Cobia fishing areas; we decide to go to an area where if Cobia wasn't in the cards then maybe we might catch a Red Drum. We are too old to strap a rocking chair on top of the T-top and sight fish, so we chum. Our only bait was frozen bunkers and eels. We anchored and setup with 4 rods out and half baited with eels and half with bunker heads, All lines were rigged with Carolina rigs except one free swimming eel furtherest from boat. Right off the bat. we caught a sizable shark and I started to doubt our decision. Soon one line starts peeling off and we catch a nice 44" Red Drum. In short order, another Red Drum this time 47 1/2" (citation for me). About 30 minutes later a line starts to scream and we boat the largest Red Drum and first Drum citation for Walt. This guy was 50" and the first fish that I saw Walt straining to pickup.

All fish hit the bait on the bottom except one Cobia hit the free swimming eel. The catches were about equal for bunker or eels. Another fish hits, thinking Red Drum I tried to set the hook too soon, the Cobia surfaced and spit out the hook. About an hour later, the line near the chum bucket takes off screaming. I let it run for a while and when I set the hook the Cobia came out of the water and cleared it by about 4 feet. It looked like a Tarpon jumping. We were in the process of clearing the other lines and hadn't pulled in the chum bucket yet. I should have let him swim a little longer but I didn't and I bought him right along side. Had him at the surface for awhile until he wrapped around the chum line and broke off. He wasn't a monster but still a good fish. We saw evidence of shark bites on our bait and cut leaders but thankfully we only catch the one shark. We headed back to Wallace's at 2:00. Everything was right, the weather, the position of the boat and lines, what a beautiful day!!! Water Sky Fisherman Boat Fish

1 - 4 of 4 Posts