Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In spite of the NE wind forecast, Ed, Joe and Eric and I braved the elements early Thur morning to drift the waters off Fisherman's Island for big stripers. It was a pretty lumpy on the way over (NE winds 15-17kts) but nice once we were in the lee of the island. We drifted eels under bobbers, tried one on the bottom and free-lined one as well. We pulled the hook on a nice striper at the boat early in the day, then a bluefish bit the leader in two, then a couple of sharks attacked our eels. Finally, the reel screamed next to Joe and he brought in a nice one. :bigfish: 51" and 48 lbs, a male. We were all amazed at how easily this fish came in on fairly light tackle, compared to the struggle with much heavier gear on smaller fish when trolling. That was it for us for the day. We tried at Cape Henry later in the day but no love was to be had.

On the Sunday previous, Joe caught a 22 lb-er while fishing with me in the same area. Until Thursday, that was his biggest striper ever. I told him he needed to buy a lottery ticket, quick.

Thanks crew for a memorable trip.

Bill
Miss Ginya:yes:

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Congrats On The Citation

Nice going and congrats on the citation. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Kevin
Weekend Mistress
Coastal Conservation Association-Virginia

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You sure sounded stoked on the phone! Tell him congratulations for me!

Capt_Ben
Above Average Sportfishing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts