Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran south of Corolla Light today; fished with 5-6 others in literally millions of gannets, gulls and a few whales near Corova; ran to the light, worked out to 3 miles, worked in there for 2 hours: NADA.
Running home with our tail between our legs, Mike saw some gannets circling high just south of Sandbridge. Bingo! We hit one school of 50 marks on the machine, no bait, caught 6 on first pass, 3 on second, one on third then they were gone. No idea which way they were moving and the few birds hovering above broke apart. We continued to work the area and south for 30 minutes with no more marks and headed home. Decent class fish, one over 30lbs maybe, others 15-20lbs.
Is it my imagination, or is it getting harder to stick these February fish? I can remember 3-4 years ago having multiple 30-50 fish days regularly, particularly if I made the southern run.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I think the fish are as confused as we are with the crazy weather. I think some fish are thinking of movin back N to spawn already. Glad to hear you got some before this blow started. Hope to get a few more before its over too. Martin

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Heading north. They will be on the Susky Flats @ St.Patricks Day. Many years of living up this way, its like clock work. The last couple of years, they have been late @ 1 st week of April:bigfish:

Phil (lily):clap:

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Had a charter today and ran as far south as you did with the same resuts. Then ran as far north as ship shoal, after an unproductive stop at CH. Descided to pack it in and head for the barn when we found a small flock of gannets a little south. Pulled our limit of ten with on weighing 59lbs at 51.5" before the bite shut down. Many undersized fish relesed from the school but the one hog made it all worth while. Kudos to Capt Jake D. for not giving up and angler Kevin for the trophy.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
$ is good and I don't have to wear a tie anymore. Even better, the wife doesn't ***** about me fishin anymore.:D

I expect to get a copy of the pic emailed to me, I'll post it with some details when I get it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts