Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the dock this morning on the Piankatank at 7:00 with Wayne and Clarence. First idea was to run to 42 and see what we could find. We couldn't find anything, no bait or fish marks on the bottom machine. From there we ran down between 36 and 36a, stopped and put lines in when we crossed a large ball of bait, trolled there for about an hour and a half with nothing to show for it but grassed up baits. We got a call from another guy fishing down off of Va Beach and said the bite was good so we picked up and made the run. We ended up a little south of the 2c (I think) marker and the gannets were diving and the fish finder was showing lots of bait and fish. Put lines over and it was game on for the next hour and a half. We caught 11 or 12 fish between 34 and 38 inches. Packed up with a nice limit of 6 fish up to 38 (got to love the two fish over 28 down there) and came home. Ofcourse the weather man was wrong and the bay hadn't laid down at all so it was a slow trip back. Thanks for the ride today Wayne, can't wait to do it again.

--John

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ride there was easy with following seas but we stopped to fish for about an hour, maybe more. Still hit the beach within 4 hours after many stops on the way. Coming back was a different story with the waves building until we got almost to wolf trap, we couldnt manage much more then 11 knots comfortably. Non stop ride coming home took 4.5 hours.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Must have been the incoming tide and the North wind, because the winds dropped steadily afternoon Thursday, just like the forecast suggested. See the following links:
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/data_menu.shtml?bdate=20081218&edate=20081218&metinterval=&unit=1&shift=d&stn=8632837+Rappahannock+Light%2C+VA&type=Meteorological+Observations&format=View+Plot

Data Retrieval

Remember, our forecasts do not, and never have taken into account currents and tides, which can really make a different when it comes to wave height/steepness when the winds are opposing the current.

Bill S.

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Nice Going

John,

We have been getting some nice fish at Cape Henry lately. Glad you could make down and get on some too.

Most of the time when we have been there the fish were suspended and they will only hit white 8 oz June Bug parachute rigs WWWWWB. What a blast on the WWWWWB on medium tackle and only 8 oz of weight.

Tight Lines & Happy Holidays.
Kevin
Weekend Mistress
Coastal Conservation Association-Virginia

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No offense Bill. I just like to have someone to blame other than myself when I was responsible for letting the rest of the crew know what the conditions were going to be for the day. I have to find a way to save face some how!

Hopefully we will have the weather gods on our side tomorrow. Plan on heading south with my father on his boat, if anyone else is down that way we will be on Maritime Mayhem monitoring channel 68.

--John

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey Bill with the NWS. Is the 1 foot seas measured at the bow or the windshield? I go out with the forecast of 1 foot and get beat to death and I come home and check out the buoy at Stingray Point and it will show .8 or so. So seriously can you give a good definition of how a wave is actually measured. I hear all the time on the radio what people would like to do with the 1 foot seas they are experiencing so maybe your explanation would help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think the waves Thursday were a combination of leftover from the night before and northwind against incoming current. It was messy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts