Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tidalfish Depression Report: March 29, 2011 Study by the American Academy of Psychiatrists

Signing onto the popular internet fishing site tidalfish.com could be making you sad. A new study by the American Academy of Psychiatrists is coining the term "Tidalfish Depression". Doctors say this condition may affect troubled anglers who obsess over the popular online site.

In the report, it says with in-your-face angler fishing reports, status updates and bragging with photos of happy-looking people, it can make many anglers feel bad if they think they don't measure up.

"I see people talking about me and my fishing buds. It hurts me and I get depressed about it and I stress over things I shouldn't be stressed about," says Bob, a Hampton, VA fisherman.

New guidelines published by Brandon White, Chief tidalfish angler, urge mental health professionals to encourage anglers to talk with other addicted anglers about online use and to be aware of tidalfish depression, cyberbullying and other online risks. Tidalfish users are everywhere in the angling community--with 45% of anglers logging onto tidalfish more than 10 times a day.

Beth Smith (not her real name) checks in about 15 times a day and spends at least 4 hours online keeping up with her more than 300 friends on tidalfish. "Just the other night I was on it for like three hours and I didn't go to sleep until like 1:00 a.m." Beth said. "I have to get up at like 5:00. I see the fishing reports posted with big fish and say to myself, I can do that. All I have to do is bmail male anglers and they will fall over themselves to give me numbers and fishing tips. Then I find ways to get out of work, ditch my children so I can catch big fish and even prove that I am a great angler. But the more I try the more I get depressed.” says Beth.

For anglers with poor self esteem--it can be devastating. Joe, from Norfolk says, “I see idiots with big boats who think buying a boat makes them a great angler. I can’t afford a big boat but I can outfish those dudes anytime.” But the reality is everybody puts their best face on tidalfish. Some tidalfish members even lie about fishing reports causing jealousy and feelings of inadequacy among other anglers.

"Sometimes just even their status, if they are involved with someone or not involved with someone or I'm unfriending people, you know I'm mad at you so I'm going to unfriend you so that can lead to hurt feelings," Dr. Pascoe said. "Especially for younger anglers."

Bob even has a tidalfish app on his Smarthphone--which he checks at work all the time. He admits his job performance has suffered—and is thinking about deleting the app from his smartphone. Even my sex life has suffered staying logged onto tidalfish at all hours of the night when I should be spending time with my wife.

Experts say tidalfish can give anglers the false illusion that everyone is having a good time but them--online there is no way to see facial expressions or body language and that can lead to hurt feelings. George said it can even lead to a fight. My friend got into a physical fight over something about a 3 mile line on tidalfish. They were talking back and forth between each other and later after work they met up and fought in the parking lot which involved the police.

"If you really didn't have that many fishing friends and weren't really doing much with your life, and saw other peoples' status updates and pictures and what they were fishing with friends, I could see how that would make them upset," he said.

"It's like a big popularity contest - who can get the most fish and fish picture he said.

Also, it's common among some angler to post snotty or judgmental messages on the tidalfish of other anglers they don't like, said Sam Navarro, 38, from Virginia Beach. It's happened to his friends, and he said he could imagine how that could make some anglers feel depressed.

Experts advise anglers to keep up with new technology and their friends networking skills--and families also need to have an online use plan. If tidalfish causes too many problems, anglers should start a support group and meet weekly to deal with the depression. And if needed, seek professional help from mental health professionals.

·
Registered
422 Posts
haha well done

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Dude you have talent. I am depressed I wasn't mentioned LOL

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
happens to the best of us . at times I could swear on my avatar there is a cow jumping out of the water instead of a dolphin . this symptom also may include big fish envy followed by boat ramp non-performance .:censored:

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Good report Mike ... thanks for sharing, now if I could just get out there when it stops blowing. noidea

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for the laugh this morning.

Bobby,

Group therapy consisting of drinking and telling fish tales is probably the best approach.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My April fools contribution for the year. Any resemblance to actual people is purely coincidental. I was reading an actual article on Facebook depression. But because I don't have a Facebook account, I could not relate so I changed the wording a little.

Any fishing reports for the next day or 2 will be highly suspect. :D:peace:

Sportfishing magazine got me this year with the Aftco Fish Elongator used to stretch short fish to make them legal. Last year they got me with the fish scrambler. :high5:

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Now that is some funny bs :yes: . It is however bs, but how can I move it to bs board, it's almost too good to do that noidea :decision55:

I was just reading a warm weather Belize report on Tidal Fish's Maryland fishing forum and got depressed that someone else was having fun in the sun. Buuuuut, I took the bull by the horns and am heading to the Bahamas Friday for a few days of flats and offshore action.

My advice not covered in the article is: "Take the bull by the horns, slash your boat, get out on the water, catch some fish, post a report and pics and do not be the victim of fishing report induced depression, be the cause" :cool::amen::fishing2:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts