Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys wanted to see if anyone could give me some suggestions on crabbing from a boat down around the james river bridge.....also can you catch any out in the bay or do you have to be closer in? will be using hoop ring net traps and or some metal traps...any help would be very cool...thanks mike:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I don't know the area you're targeting, but whenever I try a new area, I look for the outside edge of grassbeds, in about 6-12 ft of water, as the crabs will go there for protection, and to breed the females, that way they can hide, and have some privacy, I guess. When I want to walk behind a roller - type net for softies, I go inside the grass beds, and walk along the shore in about 1-2 ft of water, and have caught as many big jimmies there, without bait or traps. We used a tire tube, attached about 5-6 ft of 3/8 inch rope to the tube, or basket handle, then placed a bushel basket in side it to float along with you, just tie the loose end to your belt, or loop. The soft ones we kept stored on top of the basket lid, and covered them with a light colored dry cloth, the lid was upside down, so they would not fall off, and when we had about 2-dozen of them, it was time to head back to the truck to unload, and start over again.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I don't know the area you're targeting, but whenever I try a new area, I look for the outside edge of grassbeds, in about 6-12 ft of water, as the crabs will go there for protection, and to breed the females, that way they can hide, and have some privacy, I guess. When I want to walk behind a roller - type net for softies, I go inside the grass beds, and walk along the shore in about 1-2 ft of water, and have caught as many big jimmies there, without bait or traps. We used a tire tube, attached about 5-6 ft of 3/8 inch rope to the tube, or basket handle, then placed a bushel basket in side it to float along with you, just tie the loose end to your belt, or loop. The soft ones we kept stored on top of the basket lid, and covered them with a light colored dry cloth, the lid was upside down, so they would not fall off, and when we had about 2-dozen of them, it was time to head back to the truck to unload, and start over again.
While reading this I could envision the whole activity...... almost like I was there doing it.

Thanks, I needed that.:))

Tony

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
yes, wading for soft shells is a wonderful thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts